* Recent New Topics

Gorgeous Day 5 ride through Florida by digital
[Today at 07:22:54 pm]


Very dirty final drive oil by Yaga1973
[Today at 04:14:39 pm]


New Member- rosierider by Yaga1973
[Today at 04:12:39 pm]


New member intro by 2slowTrophy
[Today at 02:24:42 am]


Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Scorpion Yosemite  (Read 6494 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mike2411

  • Trophy Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 398
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
  • Country: USA
Scorpion Yosemite
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:34:12 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a good "4 season" jacket, something I can wear throughout the year and get away from having a 3 season jacket and a mesh jacket.

Some have mentioned the "Flex" and it looks like it would be a good jacket.

I was looking through Revzilla and this jacket caught my eye

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-yosemite-jacket

Is anyone out there wearing the "Scorpion Yosemite" as their "year-round" jacket?

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Offline Volfy

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 690
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
  • Country: USA
Re: Scorpion Yosemite
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 05:04:04 am »
Depenis on you locale.   If you live and ride up north, you could possibly wear that thru the Summer.  Down here in the South, no.

I wear my Scorpion XDR mesh jacket fully half of the year.  Great quality... and design.

$389 is a bit over priced, IMO.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Mike2411

  • Trophy Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 398
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
  • Country: USA
Re: Scorpion Yosemite
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 05:09:53 am »
*Originally Posted by Volfy [+]
Depenis on you locale.   If you live and ride up north, you could possibly wear that thru the Summer.  Down here in the South, no.

I wear my Scorpion XDR mesh jacket fully half of the year.  Great quality... and design.

$389 is a bit over priced, IMO.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. Another I've been looking at is the Tourmaster Flex but I may just do what I've been doing ... my Tourmaster Air Intake during the Summer and my Tourmaster Transition the other 3 seasons. I was hoping to find the "do all" jacket but I don't think I'm going to find it to accommodate the So. Cal. climate!

I appreciate the input and I ask because I know there is a lot of good experience out there that has "been there and done that" with a lot of the gear out there. It's easy to fall into the trap of buying something because it looks as if it'll do what you want when really what you think you want doesn't work anything like you thought it would!

I'll check out the Scorpion mesh because I would like to replace my Air Intake ... it's white with a little black and I'm not real fond of the white!

Thanks,

Mike

Offline azgman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 726
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
  • Country: USA
Re: Scorpion Yosemite
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 02:41:42 pm »
You should also consider the Olympia Motoquest line. US, family owned company with great service. True 4 season jacket, but I find that for true winter comfort (with any jacket) you need to add a heated liner and heated glove liners.

My wife has the Tourmaster Flex jacket which is OK, but the zippers are a little flimsy and removing or adding the shell is a bit tricky to do.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:44:28 pm by azgman »
Serial BMW rider

Offline Stoney

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 818
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: Scorpion Yosemite
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:27:16 pm »
Hi Mike,  I don't think you're going to find a 4 season jacket that will work in the temperature range that we get here in SoCal.  I have the Tourmaster Intake 2, and usually it's good for me from April through the end of October.  But when it dips into the 40's and below in the morning, it gets a little chilly, even with both liners.  A couple years ago I bought an Olympia Nomad jacket that's very similar to it's replacement, the Expedition.  It's a great jacket; my only complaint is that the side pockets are a little high, and that takes some getting used to.  Maybe they fixed that issue with the new version.  Much better zippers than the Intake (a problem with all of the Tourmaster gear I've owned), and it has much better crash protection than the Intake.  For me, it's good to about 80F with all the vents open (and they're HUGE!), and I've never needed to add the quilt liner, just the wind liner, even down to around 37F.  The Motoquest jacket that azgman mentioned looks like the Expedition on steroids; I guess you'd just have to figure out what your needs are.  Great quality jacket.  I looked at the Flex jacket as well (I wear the Flex pants over my regular pants), but I was tired of the zipper issues, so I thought I'd try something else.  For the summer, though, the Intake is hard to beat, even without using the right pocket (zipper...).  I'm looking to replace it before next spring, so looks like we may be on a shopping spree at the IMS show in Long Beach!
STONEY

Offline twowheeladdict

  • Trophy Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 437
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
  • Country: USA
Re: Scorpion Yosemite
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:39:39 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mike2411 [+]
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. Another I've been looking at is the Tourmaster Flex but I may just do what I've been doing ... my Tourmaster Air Intake during the Summer and my Tourmaster Transition the other 3 seasons. I was hoping to find the "do all" jacket but I don't think I'm going to find it to accommodate the So. Cal. climate!

I appreciate the input and I ask because I know there is a lot of good experience out there that has "been there and done that" with a lot of the gear out there. It's easy to fall into the trap of buying something because it looks as if it'll do what you want when really what you think you want doesn't work anything like you thought it would!

I'll check out the Scorpion mesh because I would like to replace my Air Intake ... it's white with a little black and I'm not real fond of the white!

Thanks,

Mike
What you have now works for local riding.  The multiple layer jackets are more useful for touring where you encounter 100 degrees down to 32 degrees on the same trip.  It is not uncommon for me to experience a 40 degree temp change in 4 hours.  Add in some rain and the amount of riding gear you carry can overwhelm your luggage capacity.

I have 12 feet of closet dedicated to riding gear.  Leather, textile, mesh, denim, off-road, etc.

My go to summer touring gear is mesh pants worn over quick dry shorts, or quick dry pants, mesh jacket over quick dry shirts.  Then I carry a heated vest liner for cold, and use the gore-Tex rain pants and jacket for wind and rain.  I carry several pairs of gloves from mesh to gore-tex.

If I know the Temps will never hit 80, I tour in my Olympia one piece hi-vis Cordura suit.

I prefer to wear Hi-Vis when I am touring because I have the additional distractions of GPS and looking for places instead of my full attention on the cagers around me.  I know Hi-vis helps others who are looking pick me out in the crowd.

When I local ride I chose what I want for that ride based on the conditions I think I will encounter.

Offline Mike2411

  • Trophy Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 398
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
  • Country: USA
Re: Scorpion Yosemite
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »
*Originally Posted by Stoney [+]
For the summer, though, the Intake is hard to beat, even without using the right pocket (zipper...).  I'm looking to replace it before next spring, so looks like we may be on a shopping spree at the IMS show in Long Beach!

Yep, shopping at the IMS show! I'm looking forward to seeing what's new and I really want to see the Tourmaster line for next year. I have Tourmaster "over-pants" but didn't realize they were the "Flex" pant (never really paid attention to the model) and I love those pants!

Offline Stoney

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 818
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: Scorpion Yosemite
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by Mike2411 [+]
Yep, shopping at the IMS show! I'm looking forward to seeing what's new and I really want to see the Tourmaster line for next year. I have Tourmaster "over-pants" but didn't realize they were the "Flex" pant (never really paid attention to the model) and I love those pants!

Mike - They're not the same pants.  I have a pair of each.  The Flex has zip-off panels for warmer weather, and the fly zips down like normal pants.  The Overpant is solid textured fabric, and the fly zips down, but there's a fabric panel behind it to keep rain out, I guess.  Same with the boot zipper.  Not sure if it works, as I haven't had to ride in real rain yet!
STONEY