Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: rear wheel bearing play  (Read 5742 times)

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Manchester
rear wheel bearing play
« on: November 02, 2015, 04:34:38 pm »
OK Chaps some advice please

took the bike for it's first MOT 12500 miles. The chap detected some slight play in the rear wheel.
Have it back home and I can also feel a slight play. It's looking like it requires new rear drive bearings.

Has any had the same fault and the book indicates the the bevel box has to be removed to replace the bearings, but has anyone managed to do the job with the bevel box attached to the drive shaft.

Geoff

Offline oorwullie

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Re: rear wheel bearing play
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »
Hi Geoff,

I've noticed play in the rear wheel bearings on my 2014 Trophy. I've used a dial gauge to measure the play at the disc and got about 4 thousandths of an inch. You can see it here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4Oe4kTnpc
e-mailed my dealer (Youles at Blackburn) the link & took the bike back for a check over. They told me this movement is not a problem & proved it by showing me a new example in the showroom which also has lateral play in the rear wheel. Time will tell if this becomes an expensive problem.

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »
many thanks replying, I will get a clock on it later and check.

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:44 am »
Further update

Following oorwullie's very useful you tube demo I carried out the same test.
4 thou movement was recorded.

So it looks like this is the normal play in the bearings, measured at the disc
It would be interesting to see if anyone else can reproduce these figures, and if like me the MOT picks it up

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:34:03 pm »
That's not much--anyone look in the service manual to see if there is a spec?

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:27:44 pm »
gtgt2112, did the bike pass the MOT, if it did was the bearing play noted as an advisery? got the test next week on mine.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 07:31:00 am »
I've just had a look through the TSM and the only thing that came to mind was the adjustment of the Pivot Pin Bearings on the Bevel Drive to Swing-Arm interface.

My TTSE is of a similar Age and Mileage to gtgt2112 BUT I did have the "Rear End" apart a few months ago (before it's MoT) to fit a Rubber Boot to the Drive Shaft Front UJ - not mandatory, just my own little whim.

Resetting the Free Play on the Pivot Taper Bearings is simple enough, given the correct Adjuster Socket (T3880620), but the fact that it is set by Torque Loading (100Nm on the Left, 48Nm on the right -- in two stages) and has the word "Adjuster" included tells me that it might need occasional adjusting to take up any free-play.

It's certainly easier to check and adjust than anything to do with the Bevel Box Bearings themselves...
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 04:22:18 pm »
MOT the MOT guy did not give an advisory as I have been using him for years so he knew I would investigate. If you have a problem then I would suggest discussing the fact that at least two bikes have the same amount of movement. and oorwullie had similar play demonstrated on a new bike.

With regards to the pivot bearing, that is not the cause of the play, it is the wheel bearing in the bevel box. I would guess that when more members get the chance to measure the play on their bike the figure will be about 4 thou or 0.1mm. I now think this play will be set using shims during assembly. The play is measured with a clock on the brake disc and this will magnify the movement at the bearing.

I have spoken with one of our mechanical engineers, his opinion is that to set a zero clearance on a taper roller bearing in this kind of set up requires very high precision bearings, get it wrong and the bearing will run hot. So until I know any better I am assuming this is the manufacturing setting.

tweedy-bunch