Over heating by AladdinPE
[Today at 11:32:54 am]

More fun in the sun here in Iowa by iowabikerider
[Today at 10:01:06 am]

2015 trophy se keeps blowing tse fuse by Hopper
[Today at 08:21:21 am]

Onen Hag Oll by Coconut
[Today at 08:02:48 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Do Helmets Save Lives?  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: Do Helmets Save Lives?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:19:29 pm »
Wow, bet he never leaves home without ATGATT.  So surprising to see a Harley rider with a full face proper safety helmet as opposed to the usual H-D rider with no helmet or a 'piss-pot' style helmet!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:27:44 pm »
Hey Garmin Dave, thanks for your reply. A quick question if you don't mind. If that same accident had happened to you in the UK would you have to pay out of pocket for your medical treatment?

Thanks

Studley

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:29:33 pm »
About a month ago, a friend riding in our group got hit by a deer and his helmet went on the asphalt cheese grater for a long ways.  Like me, he had on mesh jacket and pants, boots and gloves, all of which were pretty much destroyed in service to my friend.  He was still banged up pretty bad and needed to be life-flighted to the nearest trauma center.  FJR1300 was totaled.

Another cruiser rider in our group decided, after seeing what's left of cheese-grated helmet, to buy a nice Shoei 3/4 helmet to replace his 1/2 shell.

As for me... I'm rethinking my mesh pants for hot-weather riding.  Staying cool is one thing, but not worth it if they don't offer at least passable protection.  Then again, even with the absolutely best gear on and ATGATT, if you hit hard enough, all bets are off.  Being vigilant, defensive, and - if appropriate, slowing down - is still the No.1 and best protection for a road rider.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 06:38:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by Studley [+]
Hey Garmin Dave, thanks for your reply. A quick question if you don't mind. If that same accident had happened to you in the UK would you have to pay out of pocket for your medical treatment?

Thanks

Studley

Not one cent would I have to pay.  Our National Health Service (NHS) would have sent an ambulance, even a helicopter if necessary, and all of my recuperation and any medicines required free.  Of course I have paid tax all my life to have this service.

My insurance company would have fixed or replaced my bike and provided all new safety gear.  They will try to recoup their costs from the guilty party.

We often complain about stuff but we do have a fantastic free health service.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline pantoscoop

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE15
  • City / Town: Vlaardingen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 06:51:31 pm »
Yes!! Helmed safes lifes!!

Here you can see what happened with me a few weeks ago.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 06:18:33 am »
Our National Health Service (NHS) would have sent an ambulance, even a helicopter] if necessary,

Just to qualify that, the UK Air Ambulance Service is NOT funded by the NHS,
nor do they want to be - they are funded by charitable donations.

The regular ( NHS funded ) Ambulance Service, or other Emergency Services ( Police / Fire & Rescue ),
can request an Air Ambulance to attend any such incident, but they don't pay for it  :028:

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 08:23:41 am »
 :028: to Dave and Coconut

We sometimes forget what we have in the UK against even europe and the USA. A few pounds spent on your insurance cover and additional Helmet and leather cover is money well spent and hope you never have to use it.

I was unfortunately in attendance at a serious accident in Corfu at the H-D European rally 1997 95yrs anniversary.

Guy came off with No helmet. I won't go into details but use your imagination.
I have also done First Bike on Scene Advanced first aider. Always carry  first aid kit.

Seadog
seadog