Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Anyone upgrade their audio?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Johnharley1964

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 99 Trophy, 13 Trophy
  • City / Town: South Dakota
Anyone upgrade their audio?
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:50:55 am »
I have had my TTSE for 1000 miles and need to do something different with the stereo. When riding at 80 mph or with a helmet I just cannot hear it. I am older with poor hearing. I have set the Auto volume adjust to high and it is much better at mid speeds but not hi way speeds. My Harley stereo really puts out more sound that the Trophy and the Harley has louder exhaust. Has anyone added an amp or upgraded speakers?

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Re: Anyone upgrade their audio?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:53:16 am »
If you use a helmet you can use bluetooth speakers.   Sounds great at any speed.

2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Johnharley1964

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 99 Trophy, 13 Trophy
  • City / Town: South Dakota
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:51:44 am »
I do not normally wear a helmet.

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 01:13:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by Johnharley1964 [+]
I do not normally wear a helmet.

scary :005:
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Trenton
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 05:15:23 pm »
Before people flame all over you for not wearing a helmet, which is a legal choice to make.  I too have been looking to upgrade speakers on my bike also to no avail.  I have found that some on this board will gladly tell you what you are doing wrong in their opinion and not help you with the question asked.  But If I come across any information or ideas I will be sure to forward them to you via PM. 

I support your choice not to wear a helmet or for that matter any choice made in riding gear if any at all.  Ride on brother!

Kurt
It may not be legal but I have a Dr's note!

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lake Worth, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:29:25 pm »
I agree with Kurt, that is your choice to make.  While I may choose to ride with a helmet, that is your call and only your call.

Since you don't wear a helmet, have you considered maybe getting a good pair of Bluetooth headphones to pair with the Trophy and wear them as headphones/earphones?  I just recently purchased a pair of Jaybird X2 Bluetooth wireless headphones.  They really seem to lock into my ears nicely and I use them when I run and ride my pedal powered bike.  That might be an alternative for you to use while on the Trophy.  I haven't tried, but I don't see why they wouldn't pair up with the audio just like any other device would.

Ride on and be safe!

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 07:08:14 pm »
Hey John, welcome and IMO save your time and $'s. There is no way you are going to be able to get the kind of sound you are used to on your Harley from the Trophy. The new Harleys have a kick ass sound system. First the speaker box / space in the dash of the trophy is too small and as far as rear speakers you would need to build rear speaker boxes on the rear foot pegs or invest in a totally custom top case.

You may want to consider ear buds instead and or helmet based speakers. I know your thoughts on helmet but they do provide excellent audio. :>)

You can modify some earbuds for headphone quality audio. I don't recommend the headphones on the bike. They'll get you  stopped immediately in almost any jurisdiction. Following is an earbud mod you may consider.

I use the following config for jogging & cycling in the park and recommend it for cycling as well. I have a set of Monster Cable Earth Wind and Fire Gratitude In-ear Headphones http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-Gratitude-In-ear-Headphones/dp/B0057X4TWA and I did not pay that much. With the buds removed they have a transducer with about a 3/16th's end piece for fitment of their assorted ear pieces. I found their assortment of foamies adequate but not great.

Step one is to apply some electrical heat shrink wrap to the transducer cylinder. Step two is to build a channel for the shrink tube and sound to travel thru the ear plug. Blowtorch / heat a nail to red hot and melt a path thru the earplug. Step three insert transducer with shrink tube into the still warm and sticky ear plug. No hurry the melted earplug material has a tendency to remain sticky for some time and will adhere to the shrink wrap tunnel. Moisten foam and stuff into ear canal.

Here lies the important info. The earplugs I use are Moldex "NASCAR" branded and have a NRR of 33. [Don't care about NASCAR but it is the highest NRR I've found in a foamy. http://www.amazon.com/Moldex-Disposable-Earplugs-Uncorded-Officially/dp/B00SW15K1S/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447178663&sr=8-4&keywords=moldex+nascar [Did not pay that much :>)]

This combo will virtually eliminate all outside noise and are hence a danger to you and others. My config for jogging and bicycle is: insert right ear plug only and the music files I listen to has been modified to magnificent mono. The ambient noise reduction is significant and much better than you get from any stock earbud config. Sound is great. I have left ear open so I can retain touch with my environment. Lesser NRR earplugs will improve spacial awareness and the NRR factor does reduce over time. There is still one issue to overcome and how you accomplish that is up to you and dependent on your bikes config. The wind will whip the leads from your iPhone / iPod / iSource to a degree depending on windscreen and the leads will transmit unwanted sound of cord thump to the bud. That part of the fix I will leave to individual user. Having device in jacket or T-Shirt and leads up a t-shirt etc will help.

YMMV and no warranty expressed or implied. Employ this methodology at your own risk. I am confident it is illegal as well in every state but I'm sure it is harder to detect than a set of earphones.

Best of luck
Studley

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 01:20:46 am »
Maybe some Bluetooth hearing aides?  I wear a full face helmet with foam ear plugs and I can hear the stereo fine at 76 mph.