* Recent New Topics

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: My dream bike!  (Read 3227 times)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
My dream bike!
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:15:43 am »
$12,000 MSRP, but simply BEAUTIFUL in every possible detail!!!    :152:

According to Motorcycles Magazine writer, Spiros Tsantilas, October 28th, 2015 . . .

"The T120 model is actually the most faithful replica of the original 1959 Bonneville roadster with the spoked wheels, straight saddle and peashooter mufflers.

Powered by the basic version of the 1,200 cc engine, it outputs 102 Nm (75.2 lb-ft) of torque at 3,100 rpm and enjoys the same level of electronic support as the Thruxton models.

It will be available in four color options – a Cranberry Red and Aluminium Silver combo; a Jet Black and Pure White combo (both combos with hand-painted coach lines); Jet Black; and Cinder Red.

Triumph also has on offer a Black version that differs only in colors, with everything on this version painted black except for the brown leather seat. Ironically enough, the Black version will also be available in Matt Graphite color.

The accessories’ line for the T120 Bonneville includes a Prestige inspiration kit that adds an authentic chrome tank badge, black seat , chrome Vance & Hines peashooter silencers, barrel-style grips and chrome covers for the alternator and throttle bodies."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:11:20 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
Re: My dream bike!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:37:38 am »
+1 on that  :028: ,  that's the model and colour scheme I'd go for,  will look good alongside  the Trophy.... :018:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:08:58 pm »
On some other Triumph forums the big controversy about the new 1200cc engine is the change to a 270 degree crankshaft.  The outgoing DOHC 865cc mills in the  old Bonneville and Thruxton had 360 degree cranks.  Apparently, this particular design change has some Triumph traditionalists disappointed and upset.  The prevailing wisdom would have us believe a 270 degree crank (and firing order) will ruin the breed's "character" (i.e. exhaust note).  Others say it "had to be done" to meet more stringent EU emissions and fuel economy standards; this in addition to the change to water cooled engines.  Another related change is to incorporate a catalyst, which I don't think was used before on the old, air cooled engine.

I believe another reason Triumph made this crank change, as well as other engine configuration changes, was to enhance the power band, making the torque peak much lower in revs and generally flatter across the entire band.  I suspect the changes contribute to lower emissions and better fuel economy.  To wit, the new Bonneville engine's peak torque is at only 3100 rpm.  That is much lower down than the old 865cc, 360 degree crank engine.   I think this provides many other benefits for the type of riding expected by new purchasers (like me, for one); to be mostly leisurely cruising on back roads at average speeds of around 50 mph.  Part of that experience for sure is the enjoyment of hearing a distinctive sound of the DOHC parallel twin's dual exhaust.

All models in the coming 2016 Bonneville lineup have new transmissions as well with 6 speeds.  All older Bonnies have 5 speed transmissions.  A 6 speed will certainly help all the new models get far better gas mileage than Bonnevilles of old, while putting maximum torque where it is most advantageous for roll on acceleration (passing) purposes.

A couple days ago I listened to an outgoing, still new, 865cc, parallel twin, Bonneville T100 running in a dealer's parking lot.  This is the engine with the traditional 360 degree crankshaft.  It sounded okay, but nothing special as far as a distinctive exh sound.  NOBODY outside of the Hinckley factory, has yet to hear the new 1200cc "HT (Bonneville) / HP (Thruxton)" engines running, so too soon to know if the bike's "character" has somehow been diminished by these big bore engines.

I'm just curious to hear what some of you old time Triumph guys think about this subject? 

Any comments or other opinions?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:53:38 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:09:27 am »
270 crank on the new Thruxton?  Awesome!  I liked the Thruxton, but preferred the scrambler motor because of the 270 crank.  A little less HP, but more character.

I might be interested in a new Thruxton.  Gotta get it in British Green though.

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:14:07 am »
There is a new "1200" Thruxton available in a solid green color, but its not BRG.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:54:23 am »
Here's the Greeen version, here it's called Competition Green
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:51:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by Verdun95 [+]
Here's the Greeen version, here it's called Competition Green

Is that color coming to the states?

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 01:05:03 pm »
I've been eyeing the red and silver T120 since the release date. No the problem is convincing the wife that it is absolutely necessary to trade my T100 for a T120. I'd appreciate any advice on that matter.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.