Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: NEW KEY PROBLEM ???  (Read 6116 times)

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
NEW KEY PROBLEM ???
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:48 pm »
I stopped by my nearest Triumph dealer yesterday morning before work.  I needed to get a replacement key, lost my spare camping. I thought I lucked out ,,he said "I got one left in stock"  25 minutes later he returns with the key,  BLANK !!!  and a bill for 36.00.  I said I need it cut to my bike.  He informed me that they have no way to cut it I will have to go to a hardware store to get it cut.  I head back home ( 55 minutes away and hit up my local hardware store.  They cut it for me,, FREE after I tell them how much I got charged for the BLANK.  Go out side  it fit perfectly,  all dash lights came on and  ,,,,NOTHING,,I called the dealer and spoke to the salesman.  He has no clue why it is not working but I can call back to service in the morning..  I am assuming that they should have synced my key someway before leaving the shop the first time
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
Re: NEW KEY PROBLEM ???
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:45:14 pm »
$36 is not too unreasonable for a chipped key.  And, yeah, a lot of dealers don't cut the keys.  I could be wrong, but the key has to cut and switched to ignition ON. before the dealer service dept can program the chipped key to the bike.  Some independent locksmiths also have the programmer that can program motorcycle chipped keys.

I do plan on getting a spare ignition key.  For now, I got a generic non-chipped key cut for the luggage and seat locks, so I don't need to use the original (chipped) keys for those.  I prefer the ignition key to go only between the ignition switch and my pocket.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:13:31 pm »
I got a 'generic' key cut (Volvo I think in an earlier thread) as above just for luggage and to give to pillion.  No chip so won't start the bike.  Yes the key needs to be 'syncd' to the bike.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 03:51:47 pm »
One of the features I like about the Trophy is the ability to use the trunk and bags without locking them.  Rarely do I lock mine.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:04:18 pm by twowheeladdict »

Offline takingiteasy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 03:56:49 pm »
I had the same problem but my dealer was much more helpful. Once I had the blank cut, back to the dealer to get it paired to the bike. You need both keys for this and your bike. I also understand that the maximum number of chipped keys you can have paired to your bike is two. I do have a non-chipped key for general use other than starting the bike. Handy, if you need to unlock the top box or panniers whilst the bike is running.

Offline csquared

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springboro, OH
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:16:21 pm »
Keys, keys, keys! I have 4 chipped keys and they all work and two flat keys, one for each of my riding suits and used the same way as Takingiteasy. Now for the 4 chipped keys, one to use, two in the safe at home and one in the underseat compartment. If I lose my main key, I would use the flat key to remove the seats and then retrieve the spare key from the underseat compartment. Not likely to lose the flat key in my riding suit.

By the way, a search would have reveled a couple of threads about keys.
Every day is a Saturday when you're retired!

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:30:16 am »
I just checked my one and only TTSE key and I was pleased to see it isn't made of steel. If you have ever owned a BMW bike and bought an OEW blank you will quickly discover getting it cut is going to be a problem even at a locksmith because it is made of steel. Most shops wont cut it because it ruins their cutter.

I need to get a couple Triumph blanks and have them cut as when I bought the bike the previous owner couldn't find the spare.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01:08 am »
*Originally Posted by takingiteasy [+]
I had the same problem but my dealer was much more helpful. Once I had the blank cut, back to the dealer to get it paired to the bike. You need both keys for this and your bike. I also understand that the maximum number of chipped keys you can have paired to your bike is two. I do have a non-chipped key for general use other than starting the bike. Handy, if you need to unlock the top box or panniers whilst the bike is running.
The max is FOUR. I have four keys that will run the bike, as well as a few spares that will do everything but start the engine.

Be sure to bring all ignition keys you have to the Triumph dealer even if it's only one new key.

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch