Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Action Camera on TTSE  (Read 12050 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Action Camera on TTSE
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:18:18 am »
Okay, I did my search and did find some two year old messages on the subject. But nothing newer.

So  I am  now wondering if there are any new recommendations for  any particular model of Action Camera that  others here would recommend, along with best ways to mount and such.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
Re: Action Camera on TTSE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:57:10 am »
I have a second gen GoPro I wear on top of my helmet.  Works great for capturing scenery, traffic, etc.

If you want to capture the lean angle of the bike in the curves, then mounted on the side of the bike somewhere where you see part of the bike and the road works well.

I also picked up a gearPro cam from Amazon.  It was like 50 dollars, and does a decent job for home videos.  I have used RAM mounts to mount cameras on bikes, and a chest mount for capturing the road and the bike's gauges.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:50:56 am »
*Originally Posted by twowheeladdict [+]
I have a second gen GoPro I wear on top of my helmet.  Works great for capturing scenery, traffic, etc.If you want to capture the lean angle of the bike in the curves, then mounted on the side of the bike somewhere where you see part of the bike and the road works well.
I have not yet decided the best way to do this. I was even considering using the crash bars.
*Originally Posted by twowheeladdict [+]
I also picked up a gearPro cam from Amazon.  It was like 50 dollars, and does a decent job for home videos.  I have used RAM mounts to mount cameras on bikes, and a chest mount for capturing the road and the bike's gauges.
I was surprised how cheap these things are these days. I have seen them as cheap as $20.00 each for inside cars, but for the TTSE, I would want a much better one. Waterproof and all that.

I did buy a couple of the $20.00 units to try, and I was quite impressed even with this cheap model. But for the TTSE, I don't mind getting one of the best made regardless of the price.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:21:06 am »
I use a Roadhawk Ride R+ camera fitted under the headlight and hardwired into the rear of the glovebox 12v socket. It powers up when the bike is started, and loop records onto a 64GB micro SD card in HD, powering down shortly after the bike is turned off. The video quality is not bad, though a slight vibration of the plastic cover under the headlight that it is fixed to is noticeable. I was able to use it to confirm that the police radar gun that trapped me for speeding was indeed used behind the windscreen of the unmarked police car (unfortunately the type of radar gun used was cleared for such use). Allthough the primary purpose for me is as a dash-cam, I have also fitted it to my other bike when used on a track with good results (comparable with a GoPro Hero 3 that I also used at the same time).
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:55:48 am »
*Originally Posted by ShaunDW [+]
I use a Roadhawk Ride R+ camera fitted under the headlight and hardwired into the rear of the glovebox 12v socket. It powers up when the bike is started, and loop records onto a 64GB micro SD card in HD, powering down shortly after the bike is turned off.
I like that idea! I think I will go with it. Looks like a perfect place for the thing and that's a location I never even thought about. Thanks!

-Don-  Reno, NV

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:03 pm »
I have a JVC GC-XA1 I picked up on clearance last year for $99.  I originally had it mounted on top of my helmet, but that made the helmet not fit in my top box, so I relocated to the right side of my helmet.  For helmet side mount, form factor like the GoPro wouldn't work well.  Anyhow, I pretty much turn on the helmet cam any time I am riding.  Came across a few crazies on Houston streets, so I like to capture it all on video for evidence.  I prefer helmet mount for that purpose, because I can tilt and pan my head towards the point of interest.

I bought a second one that I can mount on the bike with a suction cup mount.  I've had it on fuel tank looking through the screen, on side fairings looking forward, and even on my top box looking back.  Newer action cams let you synch 2 or more  together.  Mines don't.  I do like that they are waterproof right out of the box, so no enclosure necessary.

I also wish mine has wider angle lens. 
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »
i have a innovv c3 from the e of bay for about £80...i got it as a result of this review....http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/11/2/innovv-c3-review-the-wired-lens-mini-camera.html

the camera is stuck on just next to the gps mount blank plate so looks straight out of the windscreen.  the recording device is fitted in the glove box.  thus i leave it permanently fitted as only the camera is out on display.
its powered by a usb port that I have installed which is just wired to the back of the 12v socket in the glove box.

no vibration issue...the only catch is if the windscreen is dirty then that reduces the quality!

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 04:26:46 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to mount the camera the same way as  ShaunDW's, under the headlight. Perhaps I will also have one in the rear, pointed  to the rear.

It looks like the Roadhawk Ride R+ is mainly used in the UK, as it seems every website I check has  the price as being in  £  instead of $.

Anyway, I just received a Bullethd Biker-Pro Riding Recorder. Anybody here have one of these? It seems to work fine. I set it up here in this room with a 12 volt power supply so I can test it out before I install it on my TTSE.

It is also somehow supposed to work with wireless, but I could not figure out how to download their application. It starts out with "Choose your operating system" and than there is no way to do such. See near the bottom of the page here.

And then, select any of them, and they are mostly in Chinese.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:34:19 am by DonTom »