Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What's it like to ride on the Autobahn?  (Read 5352 times)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
What's it like to ride on the Autobahn?
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:35:09 am »
I'll never know, because I live in CA, but if I lived over there, I'd surely find out!   :156:

I'm sure there must be some forum members that live near the Autobahn, so do tell, what's it like???  Is it even doable with the side cases mounted and a windscreen?
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Online GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: What's it like to ride on the Autobahn?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:32:00 am »
Well my experience of German Autobahns is either FAST or ROADWORKS!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Rolf

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vaale
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:51 am »
The experience changes between wonderful day and total horrible, depending on day and time of riding.
It is a wonderfull day if you drive a longer distance, speed control on 150 km/h, good music and nice weather.  :047:
Second you can accelerate in short time after braking. :062:
The rest is not very wonderful, some car drivers try to hold you behind them, because they are not able to go faster, so we should also stay. :110:
I hope this give you a small impression.

Rolf

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:25:06 am »
I lived in Munich for a few years. Didn’t have the Trophy then, but I can tell you that (on an unrestricted section of Autobahn) a Trophy rider would not be the fastest vehicle, in fact you rarely see anyone on two wheels taking full advantage of the speed possibilities. Even at 130+ mph you would still find Mercs, Beemers and Audis flashing you to make way for them. Oh you could probably hit 150mph with little problem, but there are plenty of cars that can go that fast or faster, and plenty of Germans who view it as their right to do so! What a great country!
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:31:02 am »
One scary experience I had on the Autobahn was a few years ago, we were riding back from Trier to Belgium going through Luxemburg. The German section had no speed limit, Luxemburg limit is set at 110 km/h but there's no warning that you are approaching the country and all of a sudden you see signs stating 110, that's a heck of a slowdown!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 01:30:02 pm »
I spent 25 years in the military, a considerable amount of it in Europe. Our last trip to Germany was this March and we rented a car and toured the southern part of the country in Bavaria.

The thing that I remember most about driving in Europe in general is that no one hangs out in the left hand lane for very long.  They pass and move over.  I wish US drivers would do a better job of that.

Most people don't realize how regulated and restricted speeds are on the Autobahn.  There are stretches with unlimited speed limits, but they aren't that long.  It's not like driving on I 10 in west Texas and between the seemingly constant road construction and traffic congestion you have to pay attention to changing conditions.  A lot of the signs are digital so speed limits change all the time.  It is nice to cruise along at 130 mph for awhile though and no matter how fast you are going, someone will come along behind you and pass you like you were standing still. 

It took a few days to get acclimated to the higher speed, but once we were there a couple days we settled in at about 180 kph on the unlimited sections.  That seemed to move us along a little faster than the rest of the traffic, but didn't seem too fast.

Both the wife and I had the impression that the car that blew by you going 150+ mph was more than likely going to be an Audi, followed by a VW. We saw very few Porsche's flying down the road.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:36:28 pm by Ernest T »

Offline pipco105

• Trophy Member
  • Get a life, get a Triumph!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Launch
  • City / Town: Uitgeest
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 01:36:34 pm »
You'll be fine cruising between 150 -170 km/h all day (traffic permitting) but watch your mirrors for the Michael Schumacher wannabees!!!
1972 Bonneville 650
1973 Trident
2000 Trophy 900
2009 Sprint ST
2013 Trophy SE Launch

Offline Dutchie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: silver mothership
  • City / Town: Amersfoort
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 05:54:16 pm »
When it had 3K km on the odo I went to Germany(45 min. away) to see what the bike had in store for me. At 220 gps km/h it ran out of breath and I called it quits. Not bad for such a big bike with side panniers. As soon as you close the throttle it decelerates fiercely, no brakes needed. The air resistance to overcome at that speed must be immense.

Anyway, it's not that much fun, the Bundesstrassen are way more enjoyable.