Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Re: Triumph Reliabilty & comparison with other Makes  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Re: Triumph Reliabilty & comparison with other Makes
« on: November 13, 2015, 01:30:13 pm »
If you line up the ST-1300, FJR, Concours, BMW RT, BMW K 1600 and Trophy in a list, according to reliability, I'm sure the Trophy will be closer to the bottom than the top. It drives me nuts that the Trophy apologist come out of the woodwork every time a member of this forum has ANOTHER issue with their bike.

Triumph's parts support for owners in the US is abysmal.  It looks like at the very least, Australia isn't any better.  Every stinkin part has to come from England.

For the head replacement TSB, UK owners got a factory fix for their bikes and a loaner while they were gone and a year extended warranty.

US owners got a crapshoot with local dealers and no extra warranty.

Online STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
Re: Re: Triumph Reliabilty & comparison with other Makes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
Honda ST-1300 Owners and GL1800 riders.  There is no one on that forum that has had issues with their ST or Wing like many of us here have had.  I guarantee it.  The FJR-1300 Forum probably doesn't have many either.

Well, I know some ST1300 had a problem with a corroded ground point connection on the aluminum frame and also a problem with a pinched wire due to mis-routing.   And some GW's needed to have the 1200 watt alternator replaced early - like between (75-125)K miles.  So no bike brand/model is 100% reliable.   But Ya, Honda has probably the best reliability.   Not too long ago I read a study that said HD and BMW had the worst reliability.   The Michigan State Police started buying R1200's last year to replace most of their HD's , BTW.  We will see how that works out.  They made that decision because of performance issues, not so much repair costs.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:44:00 pm by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 01:58:57 pm »
*Originally Posted by STJIM [+]
Well, I know some ST1300 had a problem with a corroded ground point connection on the aluminum frame and also a problem with a pinched wire due to mis-routing.   And some GW's needed to have the 1200 watt alternator replaced early - like between (75-125)K miles.  So no bike brand/model is 100% reliable.   But Ya, Honda has probably the best reliability.   Not too long ago I read a study that said HD and BMW had the worst reliability.   The Michigan State Police started buying R1200's last year to replace most of their HD's , BTW.  We will see how that works out.  They made that decision because of performance issues, not so much repair costs.

Really? You want to compare a ground point connection problem on the ST-1300 and an alternator replacement at 75-125K miles on the wing to the laundry list of problems Trophy owners have experienced in three model years?  Why not add the final drive will fail on the wing between 150Kand 200K too? The ST-1300 has been in production since 2003 and the Wing since 2001 and there are very few, probably zero, chronic problems with those bikes.

I owned my Gold Wing 7 years and it never had to go to the shop for a repair.  I owned the ST-1300 over 3 years and it never had to go to the shop for repairs.  I think my Trophy has been in the shop 60 days in a little over 2 years. There is no comparison.

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:27:06 pm »
Ernest

You seem very convinced that your Trophy is a load of crap. I do not think those of us with no problems are trying to convince you unfortunate guys with problems. I think we are just trying to give a balance.

Bottom line is that if you are so pi**id off with the bike why have you not changed for another. :007:

Then you can go on that forum and moan about the new make  :164:
It wasn't me !!

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 03:22:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by silverstripes [+]
Ernest

You seem very convinced that your Trophy is a load of crap. I do not think those of us with no problems are trying to convince you unfortunate guys with problems. I think we are just trying to give a balance.

Bottom line is that if you are so pi**id off with the bike why have you not changed for another. :007:

Then you can go on that forum and moan about the new make  :164:

You're damn right I'm pissed, but I'm giving balance too. :192:

Piece of crap--no just unreliable.

Two TPMS sensors bad (front and back)
Two cam tensioners bad (a total of 3 counting the head TSB)
Bad wiring harness killed the right switch gear
failed clutch slave cylinder
failed battery
warped rotors
ECM recall
Gas tank recall
Stand recall
Cylinder head TSB
bad audio software

The bike has left me stranded beside the road 3 times, once 500 miles from home. Many other times it wouldn't start in my garage.   

It's been in the shop over 60 days since I've owned it and I've probably spent another 60 days waiting for parts to come from England. Some of that time I was able to ride it while waiting on parts (TPMS), other times I was not (cam chain tensioner).

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:33:28 pm »
1800 goldwing had cracked frame issues.  Front suspension handling issues.  Heat issues.  Electronic issues. 

I would not be happy if my bike was in the shop constantly.   Especially since I don't trust shops with my stuff.  I took a leap of faith moving from Kawasaki to Triumph.  So far, so good.  Not that Kawasaki doesn't have its own problems.

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:52:32 pm »
Goldwings, have had transmission issues aka "Ghost Shifting" I know one guy had to have his transmission rebuilt twice. I have seen folks with Nav and ignition issues. Now Honda is gearing up for another brake recall for every year of the GL1800. Apparently the rear brake has caused a fire or two.

When you read forums whether its for Toyota, Honda, Ford, Triumph you mostly only hear about the bad things.

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:01:58 pm »
Ernest, I think you have a `Friday Afternoon Bike' -   I'd be inclined to email Triumph at Hinkley and provide this thread `link',  so they can view the problems you have justifiably  raised    :084:  -  they will not want this sort of `Web'  poor publicity  being read worldwide and may offer you some sort of good will gesture ( IMO a replacement Bike or good trade deal !!  ) they will of course.  possibly question it's use and care ect -  but worth a try though,   and may just make you feel better having a  good `rant' at them direct.....  :233:   ( good luck but don't hold your breath )
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:09:51 pm by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '