Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Heads, Valves, Chain and Tensioner all replaced.  (Read 6719 times)

Offline carl_in_az

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: scottsdale
Heads, Valves, Chain and Tensioner all replaced.
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:56:28 pm »
Two weeks ago I took my bike in for its scheduled maintenance which I have covered under an extended warranty. At 33,000 miles the chain tensioner was replaced and a week later the chain was replaced. Now a week later the engine was sounding loud so the heads had to be replaced. While changing out the heads today, Triumph told the dealer to use the existing valves. Once they opened the motor they realized the valves were destroyed. So new valves are on order.

All the fixes are being covered by Triumph and not by my separate dealer warranty. Once again no bike this weekend. This was one of the first 100 Trophy's in the USA. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Re: Heads, Valves, Chain and Tensioner all replaced.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:42 pm »
My condolences!  Do you think this is more of a case of an engine failure AS A RESULT OF an incompetent dealer doing the service work improperly, or that your early model bike had a defective head assembly in the first place?  Was it making abnormal noise(s) from the head before taking it to the dealer?
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline carl_in_az

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:03:08 pm »
The dealer is GoAz. They have about 10 techs. Now I have their best-trained Triumph tech working on my bike. Triumph acknowledged that the first bikes may have had bad heads. The dealers were told nothing unless it was brought to their attention by the owner. In my situation, the dealer technician heard the engine during a visit and raised the question to Triumph. I ride with a lot of loud bikes so I did not notice the sound.

I am trying to find out from anyone that has over 30,000 miles on their bike if they have also experienced this issue. Since I picked up the bike the first week of January 2013 it has been in the shop for over six weeks and seven weekends. Overall I am very happy with the bike's ride but not so happy on the dependability and lack of parts.

It appears that in my case all the failed parts on my Trophy model have been replaced with newly designed parts. I should have known better to buy one of the first model runs.

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Scottsdale
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:27:49 pm »
Hey Carl,
I took mine to the shop last week because the rear brake stopped working...completely.  I thought that might be yours I saw there.  I think I rode with you on a North Phoenix ride a few weeks ago.  I was on my Goldwing with the wife.
Anyway, my Trophy is a 2015 and had a leak in the brake line connector which is near the forks where a valve for the linked brake system is located.  The fluid never made it to the ground at a stand still so I didn't know it was happening.  It caused some damage to fairing parts.  GoAz is replacing it all under warranty but one of the parts won't be in for another week.  It was supposedly on Backorder.  I too like the Trophy but the parts availability issue looks like it's going to be frustrating.  Yeah I have another bike to ride but I didn't spend all that money to have it in the shop waiting on parts.  Hopefully the 2015's have all those issues worked out.  I only have about 4500 miles on mine so far.  Mid 30's isn't much to have those kinds of problems.  Seems like Triumph needs to do a better job of making parts available in the U.S.  Good luck.

Offline carl_in_az

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 11:13:02 pm »
Yes that was my bike you saw. Maybe I should get a Victory like my wife or a Goldwing like the one you rode up to Wickenburg.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 05:05:01 pm »
*Originally Posted by carl_in_az [+]
Two weeks ago I took my bike in for its scheduled maintenance which I have covered under an extended warranty. At 33,000 miles the chain tensioner was replaced and a week later the chain was replaced. Now a week later the engine was sounding loud so the heads had to be replaced. While changing out the heads today, Triumph told the dealer to use the existing valves. Once they opened the motor they realized the valves were destroyed. So new valves are on order.

It is entirely possible the technician messed up the timing when they changed the cam tensioner, which would have destroyed the valves. In fact, because I don't believe in coincidence, I'd put my money on it. Messing about with the cam chain is work that while not difficult, requires a certain level of attention to detail that most people lack. I doubt the engine has a catastrophic design flaw that will eventually cause all the valves to get bent. Just my opinion.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 05:16:03 pm »
I'm curious if you had previously had the head replaced under Triumph TSB 154, which has been discussed in multiple threads. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline carl_in_az

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 06:02:34 pm »
No I never had the heads replaced. This is news to me a very upsetting.

tweedy-bunch