where to look: TTSE, Zumo XT or BT headset ? by Coconut
[Today at 06:59:28 am]

No Brake Pressure After Tire Change by Coconut
[Today at 06:51:55 am]

Over heating by Coconut
[Today at 06:42:01 am]

Headlight Bulb Dust Cover Dimensions by STJIM
[Today at 02:33:14 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Fairing protection  (Read 9223 times)

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
Fairing protection
« on: November 20, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »
Not being too keen on the R&G Adventure bars, I looked around for some alternative ways of adding some fall protectionfor the side fairings.  I know the mirrors already have the rubber strips, which are replaceable.  Having had other bikes fall from static standing, I know the plastic fairings usually can take the weight, but they do get scratched up.  So, I figure something that cushions the fairings from abrasive pavement/tarmac would not be a bad idea.  I found these on Amazon for $10 shipped, so what da heck:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V64HETE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Question is... where to put them?  For now, I've got them installed like in attached pic.  Can some of you, who had the unfortunate experience of your Trophy taking a nap lying on its side, kindly tell me where the fairings get scratched up the most?  I can reposition easily enough.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Fairing protection
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:09:37 pm »
Great idea, looks almost stock, and that is exactly where my TTSE scratched itself from a barely-moving-drop.   In my case, the rubber and plastic on the outer edge of the mirror were the most damaged, the mirror actually pulled right off the fairing, and the upper fairing has a slight crack right under the mirror.     Bit of scratching on the front edge of the pannier and that was about it, but 800 bucks to replace it all if I chose to.   I only replaced the rubber on the mirror and the turn signal lens.   Figure a drop is inevitable, and might/will happen again. 

But I think I might get these strips and apply them where the scratches are on both sides, if they don't look too weird on the panniers.  Likely help if there is a next time..

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:13:43 pm »
They look good thanks for posting  :047:
It wasn't me !!

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 12:35:57 am »
That is a great Idea, Those bumper protectors look great and they look like they're suppose to be there.
That's exactly where my damage occurred, plus here and here. Got her all repaired now.
]

And back to looking good again.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:42:44 am by Zebraranger »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 02:28:15 am »
Look decent in the photo.  I got the adventure bars to hold my LED running lights and highway pegs.  Not for when I possibly drop the bike.

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:38:54 am »
This style of `protection' strips are good for both the faring and in particular the panniers, as detailed in  my  earlier post - see link      :028:
 ( sorry about the `make' of pannier.... :034:  )

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,4850.7.html

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:50:20 am by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:00:37 am »
I have used something very similar which I bought from Halfords.  They are actually meant for the corners of car bumpers (fenders) but work well in the bike.   I put mine on the panions (two on each side).   

I also placed rubber strips in the wing mirrors, (the sort of thing used from protecting car doors from hitting the wall of your garage).   

Subsequent drop proved their worth.  The strips on the panions took all the force but showed no sign of damage. Magic. 

Phil  :152:

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 11:03:05 am »
PS.   The strips are self adhesive but did not stick the the panions very well.   So I used some 3m double sided tape which worked much better.

Phil

tweedy-bunch