Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Triumph Tank Bag / GPS Mount  (Read 7960 times)

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
Triumph Tank Bag / GPS Mount
« on: November 29, 2015, 04:37:39 pm »
I just ordered an OE Tank Bag - and was reading some of the forum post on comments and such about it and came across this picture I attached below...which I didn't realized how far forward it actually mounted

I was also looking to order this GPS Mount see two the pictures below - does anyone have these two items together ? Will the forward mounted mount work ?  Comments ? Thanks

'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: Triumph Tank Bag / GPS Mount
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »
Hey Brbo, I don't run a tank bag but I do run a GPS. IMO The Trophy GPS mount is FAR superior to what you are looking at. Better looking, more integrated with the gauge cluster and closer to your line of vision.

Studley

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 05:44:54 pm »
Yeah I vetoed it fairly quickly first due to the cost, second the w/u at Triumph says its specific to 660 and some 2** one and thirdly once I got through page 4 of the instructions I closed the window,,,

I don't have either of those GPS - and I have run RAM on all my bikes - the stuff is rock - but you're right not as pretty as a brand specific you suggest - so I have all the extras required already and figured it was the cheapest route to go again - I've always run the newest refurb'd $99 from GPS Central in Calgary and when the rain / tumble destroys it I get another - I primarily use my phone for navigation which I run on a corresponding RAM...(which this mount I could use for as well

Saying all that - convince me differently, I didn't want to pony up $5-$700 to setup a GPS that I primarily only use for accurate speed and general directions to high tail it out of a town to get moving again...

As an FYI that said my old RT had it built in - something Triumph forgot ?

Offline Tankertruck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Uxbridge, MA
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:07:53 pm »
I had the 3" extender on the lower ram-ball mount (2nd picture you show), but they didn't work well together at all.  You couldn't really see the GPS with the tank bag on when riding easily and you couldn't really touch the screen easily either (this was adjustable, of course, but it didn't really make it any better).  In addition, if you lifted the GPS up any higher, it interfered with being able to see the speedometer, so they don't go together well.  It might work if you can get a 5" or 7" extender and push the GPS off to the side of the bag (with the extender at an angle), but I don't think it would be that much better. 

I think, if you have the tank-bag, you need to either mount the GPS in the triumph GPS mount location, or on the handlebars off to the side (not the center). 

I can say the tank bag and Triumph GPS mount/location work well together, but it is a pricey solution. 

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:07:49 pm »
Hey thanks for the input - that's what I had concluded from all the pics I saw

I already ordered my 660 on a great cyber deal this morning and ordering proper triumph mount tomorrow and then there's no farting about

Thanks again

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:46:51 pm »
Good choice brbo  :028: ,  if you fitting the mount yourself see the `How to' section.... :821:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:44:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by brbo [+]
Hey thanks for the input - that's what I had concluded from all the pics I saw

I already ordered my 660 on a great cyber deal this morning and ordering proper triumph mount tomorrow and then there's no farting about

Thanks again

brbo

I just got my Triumph tank bag in yesterday and have the first Ram mount you showed for my GPS ,,,, but after looking at the setup I too ordered the Garmin 660 and went by my Triumph dealer and ordered the GPS mount.
I'm going to keep the Ram mount and use it for a Spot Satellite Messenger.
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:04:11 pm »
Yeah it seems like the cleaner easier way to go with a proper mount and just the fact of not having to deal with the power supply hands down worth it - I've always been a RAM guy - I have a bin of spares in garage...

I use a spot too - the first while I had it mounted to the bike till I learned a valuable lesson from a friend that took a tumble and broke her leg.... never leaves the top left outer pocket of my jacket now !!!

tweedy-bunch