Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: whine and roses  (Read 3454 times)

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
whine and roses
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »
I have about 1500 miles on my Trophy. Has had a new fuel tank, new battery, the usual speedo error, STILL misbehaving windshield, and have somehow missed the leaking fork seals, so far. The biggest problem for me seems to be final gear whine. I don't think I have heard anyone mention it yet, so it could be just mine. I love the sound of the engine, but mostly in 5th and 6th I have pretty loud gear whine. Unless your doing about 80mph. Dealer said its comparable with other Trophys. I don't think its the rear most ring and pinion, its either the trans or the 90' turn bevel drive. Any one else?

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
Re: whine and roses
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
I'd ask for a demo ride. 

-----
------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:57:23 AM »
I noticed the gear whine up the front on my first demo ride. After about 10 minutes I can't say I noticed it anymore, so it was just something a bit different to my ST1100.  I do wear ear plugs all the time though.

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »
Don't feel lonely Nert, mine does the same. 5th or 6th gear, cruising at at 100 - 120, gets a bit whiney.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
it happens on all of them. I don't hear mine either. As I have said previously, the whine and the plasticy (scuse spelling) rattle is the only thing that irritates me about the bike. You soon get to ignore it. Re the screen, insist the dealership check it out. Mine has just got Triumph to agree to change the screen motor assembly.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
I may be getting deaf but I've never noticed a whine.  Even listened for it the last time I was out riding.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 03:33:03 AM »
Glad for these posts, I have the only SE in my area, and the pronounced gear whine in 5th and 6th gears had me worried.   Mine also has a clickity-clackity sound that appears to be engine related, gets a bit quieter after warmup..  "Normal"????   I understand there were some cylinder heads that had to be replaced.

Also seem to have some final drive whine, but could be tires.. I have a bit of BMW-leftover Final Drive worry (had an '04 RT, final drive failed twice!!!)..   Thanks for all the good info..

1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2015 BMW F700GS

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:41:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by nert [+]
I have about 1500 miles on my Trophy. Has had a new fuel tank, new battery, the usual speedo error, STILL misbehaving windshield, and have somehow missed the leaking fork seals, so far. The biggest problem for me seems to be final gear whine. I don't think I have heard anyone mention it yet, so it could be just mine. I love the sound of the engine, but mostly in 5th and 6th I have pretty loud gear whine. Unless your doing about 80mph. Dealer said its comparable with other Trophys. I don't think its the rear most ring and pinion, its either the trans or the 90' turn bevel drive. Any one else?
UPDATE:
at 3,000 miles, I changed the engine oil and filter again. (anal) I also changed the final gear drive oil again.
I have NO more concerns with gear whine. Not sure at what mileage the whine went away at, but all is well. Currently at 5,600 miles. No, or very little gear whine.