Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TTSE vs RT vs Concours  (Read 7127 times)

Offline Motard-Menace

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
  • City / Town: Phoenix, Az
TTSE vs RT vs Concours
« on: November 30, 2015, 03:00:22 am »
So I have been lurking and researching for a while now. I actually joined this site back when the new TT had just come out since I was considering it at that time, however for many reasons it did not happen. I am looking to purchase a ST bike within the next 6 months and have narrowed it down to the 3 rides in the title, I believe anyway..........I am heavily leaning towards the TTSE and I know I will most likely get biased advice on here but I wanted to ask anyway. Has anyone on here come off the BMW RT or Kwaki Concours to the TTSE? If so any regrets or thoughts? I would prefer your unbiased thoughts not your justification thoughts...... :008: Again I am leaning heavily towards the TTSE anyway as I have owned 3 Hinkley Triples and have nothing but good luck with them and I like the triples. I have owned an FJR, BMW F800S and I have put over 100K miles on a Honda ST1300 over 7 years and have ridden a R1200RT once for a short while. I have owned a Sprint 1050 as well as a (Ducati ST4 maybe my favorite to be honest) but want something with more bells and whistles now I guess, but still some performance & pop if you get what I mean. Anyway any information positive or negative in regards to the 3 choices listed in the title would be appreciated. Ride safe.........
MM

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
Re: TTSE vs RT vs Concours
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:41:33 am »
Hi I test rode the new RT and the TTSE back to back. And............ I bought the TT.

I found the RT a bit vague on the front end when cornering. The screen and fairing offered better protection. I also preferred the triple as had Tiger previously. The bottom line for me was the initial price tag differential and the ongoing running costs of the BMW over the Triumph which has longer service intervals. I have a lot of friends on BMW who are all leaving the mark and going Triumph or Honda.

Reasons given are mainly the costs of service and parts, with BMW very keen on revenue generation. They always seem to find other things that need doing.

I came to the TT from a BMW F800 GS and a GL1800 Goldwing. No Regrets here
It wasn't me !!

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »
Welcome.  I seriously also considered the ST1300 and FJR1300 when I bought the TTSE. I guess it's obvious which of those three I preferred. Never considered the Bring My Wallet or the Kawasaki. I went with the TTSE because of the ergonomics and protection from the elements.
All I can say is that it's the best bike I ever owned.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Tankertruck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Uxbridge, MA
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:12 pm »
I came (indirectly - a Tenere was in the middle) from a 2010 Kawasaki Concours to the TTSE.  No true experience on a RT (test ride only). 

For one-up, high-speed antics (not that I would ever do such a thing), the C14 is really hard to beat. It's happy cruising at 100 mph all day, and carve twisties (once you change the stock tires out) right after.  I look at the C14 as a 'fat sport-bike' - with all the good and bad that that entails.  Lots of after market support.  For two-up, my wife (5'-3-1/2") could never get comfortable on it, even with peg lowerers, however, so that hurt it, and it was a handful after a long day of riding (top heavy), and the linked brakes were just terrible.  Weather protection (with aftermarket screen) was great, with only minor buffeting.  The lack of cruise is just crazy at this point as well. However, it's a dead reliable, high-speed rocket of a bike.  So the C14 is a sport-touring bike, more for one-up, as a summary of my opinion.  A fine choice, and you can get some great deals on the post 2010 bikes. 

For two-up long distance riding, I find riding the TTSE easier and more forgiving in a lot of ways.  The Trophy might be top-heavy for some, but I find it much easier to handle than the C14 was.  My trophy has had little niggles, so it doesn't get the 'dead reliable' moniker yet, but it hasn't let me down.  Not tons of aftermarket support, but it doesn't really need much.  Great weather protection, but it does have some back-pressure on the helmet above 70 mph.  My wife loves the riding position, and we've done 8-hour days in the saddle with little discomfort the next day (heated seats are nice too).  It handles really well, and is very agile.  As an interesting item of note, I find that I don't yet trust the TTSE the same way I trusted the C14 to carve corners, but I think it's because it's so smooth and linear that I have a harder time judging the motor's speed and riding it at a faster pace - but this is most likely just me acclimating to a new bike.  The power is silky smooth, and dead linear, which is great if not a bit boring at times.  It's definitely a luxurious bike, and feels as fast as the C14 up to 100 mph-ish, but it doesn't have that top-end rush that the C14 has.  So the Trophy is a luxury-touring bike, for one or two-up, as a summary of my opinion.  A great choice. 

I own a 2013 TTSE. Would I get a C14?  If it had cruise and lost 50 lbs but kept that motor?  Maybe - I would definitely test ride. Would I buy another TTSE if something happened to mine?  Yup.  And since I've never bought the same car, or bike, before, that's the highest praise I can give it.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:08:15 pm »
I came from 12 years of BMW ownership, the last being an R1200RT. The Triple motor and quality of build components, swayed me (I had many recalls and poor quality components on the RT). I saved some initial money over a new RT and am also enjoying the less frequent service intervals. I thought that the RT was a great bike to ride, but I also think that the Trophy is a great bike. You need to ride both and see what fits YOU best!  :821:
Serial BMW rider

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:02:45 pm »
*Originally Posted by azgman [+]
I came from 12 years of BMW ownership, the last being an R1200RT. The Triple motor and quality of build components, swayed me (I had many recalls and poor quality components on the RT). I saved some initial money over a new RT and am also enjoying the less frequent service intervals. I thought that the RT was a great bike to ride, but I also think that the Trophy is a great bike. You need to ride both and see what fits YOU best!  :821:

Same here.  Enjoyed riding the RT.  They both handle well.  I think the cost of ownership will be less on the Trophy in the long run and maybe it will be more reliable.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Motard-Menace

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
  • City / Town: Phoenix, Az
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 02:33:14 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone, good info and now Yamaha updated the FJR with 6 gears and adaptive type lighting. Crazy the amount of choices out there for us........:
MM

Offline TomHFW

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Kawasaki Voyage
  • City / Town: Fort Worth Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 03:35:57 pm »
The 2016 FJR does look exciting on paper, but the seating position of the 2015 FJR did not work for me.  Too much forward lean, at least on the demo that I rode.  I like the seating positions of the TTSE and BMW's better.