Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trailering TTSE  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Oceanne36i

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013 Blue
  • City / Town: Mendham
Trailering TTSE
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:11:51 am »
How are you trailering your TTSE?

Just tried to trailer my TTSE for the first time by using a Canyon Dancer to secure it to a Kendon folding trailer.  Couldn't get it to work.  The bike rolled easily up onto the Kendon and locked into the chock just fine.  The problem was with the Canyon Dancer.  No matter how it was adjusted, it applied serious pressure against the handlebar-mounted switchgear.

I've trailered a number of bikes using the Canyon Dancer and have had to replace switches (turn signals, hazards, etc) on two occasions.  Now I watch carefully what the CD strap is bearing against.  I was not confident that the switches wouldn't be damaged in transit, so I undid the rig and rolled the bike back off.

Any tips for successfully trailering this particular bike?
Oceanne36i
Mendham, NJ

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Trailering TTSE
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:06:40 am »
Can't say that I have ever Trailered a Trophy, and had never heard of the "Canyon Dancer",
so I Googled it and saw that there is now a "Mark 2" version which holds the straps
further away from the switchgear and fairing : Motorcycle Superstore - Canyon Dancer II

Might be worth a try ( if that's not the version you already have ),
and putting on your Letter to Santa this year ! - Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:52:16 pm by Coconut »

Offline Oceanne36i

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013 Blue
  • City / Town: Mendham
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 01:02:13 pm »
Wow, Coconut, thank you!  That's really great!  Don't know why it never occurred to me that there would be an upgraded CD (it's such a simple device).  But there ya go!

In the product description, it specifically mentions the benefit of keeping the harness off the switches.  Plus, several of the reviews site this as a benefit, so I think we've got this figured-out.

One note:  this new "cups" design -- the upgrade over the original "tubes" design -- mandates removal of the handlebar end weights.  It's just a few twists of an allen wrench, so it's no big deal.  But it IS one additional step (and handful more loose bits to keep track of) when trailering your bike.

I ordered the new model.  Thanks again!
Oceanne36i
Mendham, NJ

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:25:08 pm »
The motorcycle dealer took mine back to the shop on a trailer when I had battery issues.  We took the straps up inside the fairing along side the forks and attached them to the triple tree.  It worked well and we got it to the shop with no issues.  The only problem you might run into is the eyelets on the trailer have to be pretty close together and most are not. Luckily their trailer had that steel mesh on the sides and deck so we had an infinite number of connection points.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 01:59:23 pm »
We took the straps up inside the fairing along side the forks and attached them to the triple tree.
This is how I did it, up underneath and over the triple tree, plus wheel chock, plus shorter straps on the rear passenger foot pegs to keep the rear of the bike from moving. Trailered it 800 plus mile on an open trailer this way without any problems.
I have the newer Canyon Dancer and it didn't work on the TTSE. I could have probably made it work, but I just didn't trust it to not do damage.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:02:46 pm by Zebraranger »

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 02:25:41 pm »
I trailered, my TTSE to New Mexico, and have tied it down on ferries on several occasions.

I used the newer canyon dancer in the trailer, it was enclosed, and I left the bike on the sidestand, but normally I'd have left it upright.  The CD worked ok, but in my case fouled the top of the gas tank area, which I padded with a bath towel, and was very close to the fairing sides, which I also protected with towels.  CD makes protectors you can purchase and attach...

Oddly, I don't have any good pics of the tie-down, but I've attached a couple that give the gist.

My CD didn't foul the switchgear.

On the ferries I approximated using a CD with a short light weight sling and 2 ratchet straps... and once used rope the ferry supplied...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 02:28:14 pm »
I have trailered my bike more than 5,000 miles.  I use a Klinger trailer because it has a drop bed which allows me to move the bike on and off without assistance or the risk of falling off a ramp.  I also use a Wheeldock installed on the trailer to secure the bike.  Once the Wheeldock is engaged I put 4 straps (2 are probably enough but I tend to over do things) on the passenger grab rails and I am off.  It only takes me 10 minutes to get the bike on or off.  It tows easily behind a medium size car at highway speeds.  Here are links to Klinger Trailer and Wheeldock and a picture of the bike on the trailer (with my lovely wife) and one with the Wheeldock installation.

http://www.klingertrailer.com/

http://www.wheeldock.com/ 

ZShyster

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »
I locked the front wheel into the chock with a strap and secured the back of the bike.  No problems towing 8 hours one way in a borrowed enclosed trailer.