Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: GPS AND SPOT  (Read 4525 times)

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
GPS AND SPOT
« on: December 11, 2015, 07:10:00 pm »
I was reading on the Spot web site about not having the Spot within 12 inches of any other GPS.
So does anyone have a Spot and a GPS mounted within 12 inches of each other and if so did you know about the proximity requirements of the SPOT to other GPS units and could you tell a differences when not using one or the other?

Thanks   
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
Re: GPS AND SPOT
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:08:06 pm »
Hmmm never ever heard that one.. But I have been on scene of too many accidents.  I wear my spot on front of jacket  it does absolutely NO GOOD mounted on the bike in the event of a catastrophic event.  Because the chance of you still being comfortably seated on your bike when you will be lucky to still be able to move your hand to push the emergency button are slim and none ,, and slim was on the last train out of there. The spot was intended to be attached to the rider so when separation occurs and you need immediate medical assistance you wont have to crawl back to your bike to access it..
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:38:04 pm »
I read that too, but when I use to mount on handlebar - I had phone GPS and SPOT all within inches and it never affected my spots....

'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:26:27 pm »
*Originally Posted by brbo [+]
I read that too, but when I use to mount on handlebar - I had phone GPS and SPOT all within inches and it never affected my spots....

I don't want to have the Spot in my pocket , Spot said that the Spot works better with the Spot face up.
I have to many things I have to carry now and have run out of pockets , blood kit , insulin pump , phone then the normal items.
As long as I have my phone on me I can track my bike if it leaves with out me and the spot can relay a message from my phone if needed.   
IBA # 59602

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:37:12 pm »
I was simply suggesting multiple satellite devices in (very) close proximity for me did not affect getting out consistent spots crumbs...

To each his own its all good - FYI in my pocket I have never seen a spot crumb missed other than between or behind very vertical tall mountain (very close) - mind you those types of areas it would have affected the Spot no matter where it was located on the bike

*Originally Posted by 2slowTrophy [+]
I don't want to have the Spot in my pocket , Spot said that the Spot works better with the Spot face up.
I have to many things I have to carry now and have run out of pockets , blood kit , insulin pump , phone then the normal items.
As long as I have my phone on me I can track my bike if it leaves with out me and the spot can relay a message from my phone if needed.   
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:13:29 am »
brbo
I understand I was wanting to get input , Thank You.
I would like to carry a backup device like a Spot on my person but with all the stuff I carry I wanted to see what Spot personal were talking about and what owners have seen in use.
They "Spot" maybe hedging their bet for the perfect placement and don't want to have a side by side comparison for reception.
I want to get the best bang for the buck and if the Spot is sensitive to other electronics just how much so is the big question.
Thanks for the info!
IBA # 59602

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 01:42:38 am »
*Originally Posted by 2slowTrophy [+]
I was reading on the Spot web site about not having the Spot within 12 inches of any other GPS.So does anyone have a Spot and a GPS mounted within 12 inches of each other and if so did you know about the proximity requirements of the SPOT to other GPS units and could you tell a differences when not using one or the other?
Thanks   
I think you will find in most cases, both will work fine even less than 12" away from each other. But if there are problems, it is something to check. IOW, it is possible for them to interfere with each other, but not likely, IMO. The Spot only puts out a signal for a few milliseconds every five minutes. Any radiation from the GPS is quite low. But a few inches away would be more likely to cause a problem, perhaps with the location received for the Spot. The odds are even then it will work fine. But there are some variables. YMMV.

But the bottom line is try it and see if it seems to work okay. I expect it will all work fine.

-Don-  SSF, CA

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:50:42 pm »
I'm on my 4th SPOT in more than 10 years and all have been within 12 inches of other GPS devices and never had an issue. In my experience you can ignore the 12 inch rule

Studley