Gorgeous Day 5 ride through Florida by digital
[Today at 07:22:54 pm]

Very dirty final drive oil by Yaga1973
[Today at 04:14:39 pm]

New Member- rosierider by Yaga1973
[Today at 04:12:39 pm]

New member intro by 2slowTrophy
[Today at 02:24:42 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hard work paid off today  (Read 3148 times)

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
Hard work paid off today
« on: December 13, 2015, 03:23:29 am »
What does a Plummer and motorcycle have in common???

They both have dirty pipes that need to be cleaned! 

In my case, I am referring to my fully exposed exhaust pipes on my late model Bonneville T100.   They are chromed all the way  from the exhaust port header pipe connections in the head to the tip of the mufflers on the other end.  When I got the bike brand new, "the pipes" were absolutely beautiful and the chrome was dazzling; one of the main reasons I love the bike!

Unfortunately, on my very first ride home the day I picked up my new bike from the dealer, I later realized the header pipes must of had somebody's fingerprints on them - probably one of the mechanics that did the PDI in the shop.  This resulted in some blotchy discoloration in the chrome in addition to the start of almost unavoidable "bluing" of the header pipes.  Bluing is  mainly due to overheating of the pipes and/or the Secondary Air Injection system, which has fresh air pumped directly into each exhaust port in the head to aid in reducing unburned hydrocarbons in the fuel that escapes with the exhaust after the combustion process.  This is an emission control system required in CA, and probably most other States.  My next project is to block off the air injection tubes and bypass the SAI system sensor in the ECM.   This is easy to do and almost everyone in the late model Bonneville community does this to their bikes as their first mod.

Anyway, my beautiful chrome pipes were already becoming unsightly on the very first day I owned the bike!

This weekend I decided to try a chrome polish called, "Blue Job".  It's claim to fame is that it can restore chrome to an original showroom shine.  At first, I was reluctant to believe the manufacture's claim, but I tried it anyway.

IT WORKED!!!

Lots of patience (several hours) with a good amount of old fashion elbow grease is required, but this chrome polishing product actually does work and works quite well.  It helps to use a buffer wheel pad on a rotary power tool, such as a portable, variable speed drill.  I found the latter to be fairly effective in speeding up the job.

Now, my exhaust pipes are beautiful once again for all to admire!  NO MORE DISCOLORATION OR BLUING WHATSOEVER!   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:12:33 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Re: Hard work paid off today
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:51:21 am »
You have a great looking Bonnie. I had the same issue with my previous 2013 Bonneville. I also used the Blue Job to get rid of the bluing. I also did the tube and SAI mod but the bluing came back. Decided it gave it a little character and just let the bluing continue. I also did a mod to the exhausts and had it remapped to compensate, but it didn't help. They're single wall pipes coming off the heads and sometimes at night you could see them glow red, I mean red like a stove burner too. Here's the bluing I experienced.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:52:54 am by Zebraranger »

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:26:06 am »
Thanks!

I came real close to buying one exactly like yours.  Something about an all black set off in chrome with mag wheels that pushes all the right buttons.  I would of saved well over a grand, if I had gone for it, since that model bonnie has the lowest MSRP ($8,099) and those still in dealer's inventory are being voluntarily discounted.  My dealer offer one to me for $7600 plus tax and fees.

Thanks for the feedback about your experience with header pipe bluing.  I suspect you're right, there is really nothing we can do to prevent it from happening.  I have read from a few others on the RAT.net forum who have put on less restrictive silencers, eliminated SAI and O2 sensors and remapped their ECUs, claiming they were able to stop the bluing.  I find that hard to believe, but I'm going down that same road, so I'll see what happens soon enough.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:16:23 am by dsinned »
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:19:35 am »
Beautiful Bonnies - both of them  :169:

Personaly, I quite like the effect of the Blueing - it reminds me of my engineering apprenticeship days !

These colours form on newly ground or polished steel due to
an Oxide layer forming on the surface when the metal is heated.

As the temperature increases the thickness of the Oxide layer also increases,
which is indicated by the colour changing from a light yellow ( straw ) to brown, purple, and then blue.

These colours appear at very precise temperatures and are used by engineers / blacksmiths
when Tempering steel for different applications :

Faint-yellow 176 C (349 F) engravers, razors, scrapers
Light-straw 205 C (401 F) rock drills, reamers, metal-cutting saws
Dark-straw 226 C (439 F) scribers, planer blades
Brown 260 C (500 F) taps, dies, drill bits, hammers, cold chisels
Purple 282 C (540 F) surgical tools, punches, stone carving tools
Dark blue 310 C (590 F) screwdrivers, wrenches
Light blue 337 C (639 F) springs, wood-cutting saws
Grey-blue 371 C (700 F) and higher structural steel

So the hotter your Silencers become, the further the Blue colour will spread.

Polishing the Silencers removes the Oxide layer,
but expect it to come back when the pipes are heated up again !

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:01:49 pm by Coconut »

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:50:19 pm »
I always quite liked the look of the blue on chrome pipes.
After a while you will get a nice chrome blue.
Without the blue they look    new

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:42:44 pm »
I feel the pain guy's and share the same with the TTSE, I think the only way out is to do similar to the Rocket 3 and have chrome overplates clipped to the inner pipes... :084:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 04:30:32 pm »
Nice looking bikes.  I think I must not pay enough attention to the aesthetics of the bikes I ride. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 02:06:56 pm »
I'll give Blue Job a try on my T100. I just cleaned the chain the other day, dang they can get dirty fast. I wonder how many have the TTSE -  Bonneville combo. It sure works for me. In our "cold" weather (an El Nino year so it's not that cold really) I ride the Trophy a lot. But typically I jump on the Bonneville most of the time to shoot around town or go for short rides. Even thought well over 90% of the rides are on the Bonneville I seem to put about the same number of miles on both of them each year.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch