Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Heated Grips Don't Work After ECM Reflash?  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Heated Grips Don't Work After ECM Reflash?
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:10:42 pm »
The dealer reflashed the ECM with the latest version when I had the bike serviced in July.  Now it's December and I turned on the heated grips for the first time this winter and they don't work.  Before I go looking for gremlins, is it possible they have to be turned back on by the dealer after the ECM reflash, just like they do when first installed?

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
Re: Heated Grips Don't Work After ECM Reflash?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:56:15 pm »
Does your TTSE have the shorting link?  If not, then it is quite possible they cleared the setting to ENABLE the heated grips display on the dash.  I could be wrong, but I though the heating elements work regardless of the display.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:09:52 pm »
If that's the case, I definitely have a problem.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 12:53:47 am »
Fuse was blown, replaced the fuse and all is well.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 02:18:04 am »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
Fuse was blown, replaced the fuse and all is well.
Don't bet on all being well.  The odds are it will blow again, while the heated grips are being used.

Your fuse is ten amps. It cannot be old enough to blow from age at a 7.3 amps. And that is only if you also had the heated seat on at the time the fuse blew.

Otherwise:

Heated grips on low setting: 3.90 amps
Heated grips on high setting: 6.0 amps

It usually takes several minutes for a ten amp blade fuse to blow even at 11 amps. It's a current vs. time type of deal with fuses. But will blow quickly at much higher current draws, instantly with a dead short. But fuses also age and then blow at lower currents, but that usually takes several years, depending on enviroment.

You might   want to read this,  about when my heated accessory  fuse blew several times and how I dealt with it.

BTW, I see you even posted in the above November 2014 thread.

-Don-  SSF, CA
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:32:48 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 08:19:44 pm »
I took your advice and there are no broken wires on either side, at least not outside the sheathing.  I checked down inside the grip with a flashlight too.  Who knows.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 08:34:20 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
I took your advice and there are no broken wires on either side, at least not outside the sheathing.  I checked down inside the grip with a flashlight too.  Who knows.
It's not the first time I have heard of a blown fuse after a bike comes back from the dealer. Make me now wonder if they did something that caused that fuse to blow.

If you have the heated seat installed  too, you might want to check that none of those wires are pinched as well. The heated seat shares the same 10 amp fuse with the grips.

BTW, did you take a good look at the blown fuse? A wide blow means it was a dead short. A very thin break in the fuse means it was from being slightly over current or just blew  from age (unlikely, with a fuse that cannot be all that old). Environment can have some effect too.

But it might not be a bad idea to check the normal current through the fuse with everything on.

And if no problems found, you might as well forget about it and wonder how the dealer managed to blow that fuse.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:47:50 am »
Don, you got me thinking about the heated grips and I took them off again intending to sleeve the wires with heat shrink where they bend and go into the grips.  I also was wondering about the other thread about the left grip going bad.  That led me to look at how the wires sit at the end of the bars. On my bike, the wire was pressed up against the edge of the groove in the bar when the screw holes in the grip lined up with the threaded holes in the bars.  I took a hacksaw and file and opened up the end of the groove by about 1/4" wide and and long.  Now, when the holes in the grip line up with the holes in the bar, the wires are loose in the groove and not tight.  I wished I'd taken pictures, but it didn't take long to make the groove bigger since its aluminum.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:04:11 am by Ernest T »

tweedy-bunch