Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bluetooth Connection to Phone  (Read 2834 times)

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
Bluetooth Connection to Phone
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:19:17 pm »
Just want to confirm that while you can receive calls with a phone Bluetooth-connected to the bike, you can NOT place calls. Is that correct? If so, seems like kind of a large oversight.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
Re: Bluetooth Connection to Phone
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 04:29:13 pm »
Are you using a headset (Sena) ?

Are you using Android (Google Now) or Apple (Siri) ?

You can make it work depending on what you are using as per above.... but if you are talking about simply the Phone BT to bike - there is no keypad to dial out through the bike functions - not sure I know of a bike that can do that....
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »
Most bluetooth helmet headsets will have voice control to dial someone. Why on earth would you call someone while riding is questionable in my opinion though!?

Glen

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 04:54:12 pm »
Yes, through the bike... headsets don't have keypads either, but you can call out with them; seems to me that it wouldn't take all that much to have made some speed dial memory like with radio stations.

I have a Sena 20s, and yes, with the headset, I can call out, but I don't know the number of incoming calls and I don't answer the phone unless I know who it is; having the phone paired to the bike allows me to see that. I wonder if I can still call out via the headset with the phone paired to the bike rather than directly to the headset. I doubt it, but I'm going to try and see what happens.

I know some people consider making phone calls while on a bike to be dicey. Everyone does their own thing. I call my wife every day on the way home from work. Where I call from, the traffic is usually moving around 5-10mph, so it's not a big deal, but even if it were heavy and/or fast, I don't find the added cognitive load of making a call any higher than tuning the radio.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:58:39 pm by AZBob »
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 05:12:14 pm »
My N-com system has a favourite number redial which is set to my home number, so I press it once and it automatically dials home. A great idea. Do others have the same function?

Glen

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 05:16:32 pm »
*Originally Posted by gfxmonkey [+]
Most bluetooth helmet headsets will have voice control to dial someone. Why on earth would you call someone while riding is questionable in my opinion though!?Glen

Let's see:
To report a dangerous driver /  hit and run, to make a hotel reservation, to order pizza, to tell your family your OK but running a little behind schedule, to set up an unscheduled appointment for service at a dealer, to order a new tire before end of business day. To call AAA

Gee Glen, seems to be no shortage of reasons to call IMO

Studley

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 05:22:01 pm »
I dont BT the Phone to Headset - only to bike -

Incoming calls show on display this way - you can call out by tapping phone button (rear button for radio)

I just tried turning on VOX on headset - in garage it seemed to work that way a couple times yes and a couple times no - I need to play with that more when I get more time - this way no buttons to push on 20S at all...which is also get quick info / directions from phone rather than typing into GPS

*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
I have a Sena 20s, and yes, with the headset, I can call out, but I don't know the number of incoming calls and I don't answer the phone unless I know who it is; having the phone paired to the bike allows me to see that. I wonder if I can still call out via the headset with the phone paired to the bike rather than directly to the headset. I doubt it, but I'm going to try and see what happens.
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:22:31 pm »
You are making calls on your bike?

Just give me the tag number so I can call the cops.

We all raise HELL bout car drivers doing this same thing
then we want to do it?

Nope.
Good Luck

tweedy-bunch