Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: I've read about. Now it happened to me. Pirelli Angel ST rear tire.  (Read 6226 times)

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
I've seen the pictures that other have posted about the original Pirelli Angel St tires that came mounted from the Triumph factory, without warning start to show the steel belts. Well it happened to me today. Went for a 460 mile ride today with the rear tire looking like it had many more miles left on it when I left home. When I got home this evening I looked at the rear tire and saw this, .

I've got a new set of MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted so not a big deal. But I will never buy another set of Pirelli Angel St tires again. The originals made it 9100 miles or less. Not exactly sure when during the 460 miles today the belt started showing.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: I've read about. Now it happened to me. Pirelli Angel ST rear tire
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:46:47 am »
*Originally Posted by azccj [+]
The originals made it 9100 miles or less. Not exactly sure when during the 460 miles today the belt started showing.
Mine looked like that at 7,400 miles, and I mostly ride my TTSE much like a little old lady would. Slow and easy, compared to most others I know. And my front tire was badly cupped even before that.

And if you ride on those ridiculously hot roads out there in the summer, I would expect you to get around 5,000 miles on just about any tire. I know how hot that area gets. I have been there on a bike in midsummer. I would never think anybody could get 9,100 miles on those!

I now have PR4 GTs  installed. And they are great.

-Don-  SSF, CA
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:55:13 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:02:30 am »
This does seem to be an issue with these tyres. It happened to me also at 6,500 miles, just 200 miles after a visual check re-assured me that they had plenty of miles left.
As can be seen from your photo, there still appears to be reasonable tread left.
I've never had a tyre go through to the canvas before and I've ridden plenty of them well beyond the legal minimum (in my youth).
I'm trying Bridgestone BT30s now.
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:32:12 pm »
Also an issue with Metzler Z8's on a lot of BMW K1600's.  Good thing you were coming home and not on a long road trip where you had few tire options!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:47:17 pm »
Mine also had to be replace around the 7000 mile mark.
But I will never buy another set of Pirelli Angel St tires again.
They've been discontinued, probably for that reason. I do have to admit that they definitely had good grip when driving hard in the twisties though.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:51:47 pm »
Yep I had the same issue on OEM Pirelli ST. Set of PR4GT lasted ~12,000 km with notable scalloping front and back on side of tread. Current set of Pirelli Angel GT are performing very well (as good as PR4GT); vast improvement on OEM fit.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 05:41:49 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]

And if you ride on those ridiculously hot roads out there in the summer, I would expect you to get around 5,000 miles on just about any tire.
-Don-  SSF, CA
Heat may be the reason I got less than 5000 miles on the Pirellis on my Trophy before the cord came through and the tire went flat in circumstances nearly azccj.  However I replaced my tires with PR4s and was at 8000 miles with plenty of tread left when a nail put an end to that tire.  So heat is definitely a factor in tire wear but on a really good tire like the PR4 it isn't a killer like it appears to be on the ST.  I have Pirellis on my Sprint 955 ST and once those wear out I'll never buy another Pirelli.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 06:31:56 pm »
Are the Angel GTs plagued by the same issue?

tweedy-bunch