Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New but no Trophy yet.  (Read 2207 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE + 6 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
New but no Trophy yet.
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:04 AM »
Hi, from South San Francisco (I own a home in Reno, NV too). I don't own a Trophy yet, but I decided it will be my next bike. I now own a 1971 BMW R75/5,  1984 Yamaha Venture, 2002 Suzuki DR200SE. All run as new, if not better. I am the original owner of them all.

I took a look at the Trophy at the Reno Triumph dealer  and it was difficult to resist buying on the spot.

I never thought I would own a Triumph, but I really like the features of the Trophy and I have decided it will be my next bike. The only question is when, not if. But I want to learn what I will be getting into by the experiences of others here. I kinda want to wait a year or two before buying  to see what types of bugs, if any, show up.

So I am here to learn about the Trophy  SE  before buying.

My three other bikes are fine for the time being.

-Don-
Original owner of:
1971 Black BMW R75/5, 1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue (the faster color!) Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT/2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio/2017 Zero 6.5 DS

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: New but no Trophy yet.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »
Hi Don

That is a difficult decision to make. Do you wait until any problems are ironed out or bite the bullet and hope you have a healthy bike. 

I bit the bullet and have overall nothing but fun with this bike. The dealerships are great and supportive in helping resolving any potential problems.

Whatever you decide has to be right for you.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi Don and  :400:

You are a lucky guy. San Francisco is one of my favourite places in the world. Scenic, historic anf fun!

In 1999 I rented a "full dress" Harley Electraglide and spent a day touring up the Napa Valley, across the mountains and down the Pacific coast road. The bike was not ideal but as a biker I felt one of the things I had to do was ride a Harley across the Golden Gate bridge. What a day.

I still have the photo of me with the bike taken on the viewing area on the hill road in Sausalito just West of the North end of the bridge. The bridge and the city are behind us. That photo has been sitting on my kitchen window ledge for years and it still makes me smile when I look at it.

To get to ride that area on a Trophy would be fantastic. Just get the bike and worry about the niggles later!

:821:

BP
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:08:53 AM by BluePilot »
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE + 6 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Berber [+]
Do you wait until any problems are ironed out or bite the bullet and hope you have a healthy bike.
I do like to wait a few years on a new model. For an example, there is a serious problem with the 2nd gear on many 83-85 Yamaha Ventures. The problem wasn't even discovered until several bikes were three years old. It was fixed in late 1985, all caused by a two dollar washer  in the tranny that was made from nylon instead of metal. Takes a good 20 hours of labor to get to that two dollar washer.

-Don-
Original owner of:
1971 Black BMW R75/5, 1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue (the faster color!) Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT/2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio/2017 Zero 6.5 DS

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
Don't take a test ride; don't even sit on one.  Like you, I was going to wait a year or two for the Trophy and the new BMW waterhead RT to get sorted out.  Then I took a test ride and went into heat.

I'm not so worried about the bike having problems as I am about the dealer not being able to fix them.  Real lack of experience base; hope they have good support from Triumph.

-------

------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
I never thought I would own a Triumph

I never thought I would NOT own a Triumph  :745: 
Welcome to the Forum.  Ride that Trophy.  You will soon get rid of the other 3
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
The problem wasn't even discovered until several bikes were three years old.

-Don-

By which time the owners had had three years of riding and some had probably sold their bikes on and did not have to deal with it!

:002:
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 06:30:40 PM »
Hello my friend fron Spain.
Perhaps you are making the wrong approach... You have already felt the bites of this little spider in your heart. And you will come down to it more sooner than later.

The only two main problems that have been already identified are the leaking forks and the leaking oil tanks. And we are talking about some 2 or 3 % percent of the bikes. By the way we could get a more accurate percentage out of the 300 members of this forum.

I am more than sure that these two "leaking problems" have been assumed by the factory and the bikes being produced today do not have these problems.

So...leaking can be your personal problem. Your tear drops will leak every time that you get a glance to this forum.... And jelaus and envy are very bad advisers....

Cheers and Vsssss

tweedy-bunch