Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Any one had a 40000 mile service in the UK?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Norms23

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: DONAGHADEE
Any one had a 40000 mile service in the UK?
« on: December 27, 2015, 01:43:55 pm »
Hi my TTSE is due its 40000 mile service and I was wondering has anyone had a price for it?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Sold bought a 2017 BMW R1200GS TE
2015 Triumph Tiger 800XC
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
Re: Any one had a 40000 mile service in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 03:28:20 pm »
Not yet,mines due the 30,000 in the next month or two. Could be the same as the 20,000?

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 09:28:00 am »
I would think the Price will be very similar to the 20,000 mile service.

According to the Service Schedule ( See Servicing Data, reference Info. & DTC ( Fault ) Codes - Post #1 ),
everything that is carried out on the 20,000 mile service is also carried out on the 40,000 mile service,

EXCEPT :

On the 20,000 mile service the Camshaft Timing is adjusted,
but ONLY on that Service, not subsequently, so that will be a cost saving.

On the 40,000 mile service, there is one additional operation called for,
which is to renew the Fork oil, so that will be an additional cost.

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:09:24 am by Coconut »

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:50:19 am »
 :460: as my 40K will be due soon, currently at 33,000 so sometime in April.  My 20,000 was £902.98; which included:

Service
Pair of PR4's
Front Brake Pads
Two shims for the valve timing

I am hoping it will be less next time!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 08:15:53 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

EXCEPT :

On the 20,000 mile service the Camshaft Timing is adjusted,
but ONLY on that Service

I find this most interesting and wonder why? I mean, what's stopping the timing going out after that magic mileage figure??

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »
I understand that that the chain does initially stretch a little but after 20000 should maintain its length and setting for the life of the chain.

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:30 pm »
Using the tutorials in here I feel confident enough to carry out a major service, except I don't want to mess with the timing when it probably doesn't need messing with. Would a visit to a garage with a rolling road and diagnostic equipment be able to tell me if the timing was at all out? don't know what this would cost but cant imagine it would be out of sight.
Phil.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 06:42:14 am »
I understand that that the chain does initially stretch a little but after 20000 should maintain its length and setting for the life of the chain.

I too find this interesting....and said as much in a recent Topic on the Camshaft Timing Check @ 20,000 Mile Service Point.

It is interesting (to me at least) in that with my two other (First Generation) Trophy Models, as well as the New Trophy model, there is no "Replace" criteria for the Cam Chain - only to examine for wear and to check the Service Limit length over a given number of Links.
Yet stories persist on other Forums that it should be replaced on the earlier models at 40,000 miles....so I asked my Tame Triumph Techie for his opinion and he said he goes by condition and the Service Length criteria. But if a Customer wants it changed that what he does...
So I recently measured the Cam Chain Length at 40,000 miles on my '92 Trophy 900 and found it to be well within the Specified Limits for Service Length. There was no visible wear or degradation so it went back in the Bike and I'll check it again next time I have the Cams out or in another 40,000 miles - if I live that long...

The First Generation Motors have "over-bucket" Shims so it is possible to replace shims without removing the cams.
However, the New Trophy motors (are they 5th Generation ? I haven't worked that one out yet...) have "under-bucket" Shims so to replace any Shim you have to remove the Cams. If the Cams have to come out then measuring the Cam Chain Service Limit can then be done, using the same method which involves the 13Kg weight loading etc...

But if Owners and/or Techs decide to replace the Cam Chain, rather than faff about doing all that measuring malarkey, do you then have to Re-Do the Camshaft Timing after a further 20,000 miles ?
A New Cam Chain will stretch, just like the Original one did, which in turn will cause the Cam Timing to alter (again) and so the Cam Timing will again require re-setting at a further 20,000 miles..

What happened to the Engines that got re-worked at the Factory during the great Head Recall ?
Were the Cam Chains replaced during that operation ?
I understood that the whole Head Assembly was replaced....

I think I'm going to have to Quiz the Service Manager and Techies on that one when I next visit my Dealer - and I'll ask for the Price of the 40,000 Mile Service at the same time.

I'll report back when I have news on that front...
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)