Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New Trophy Triple on the road, Virginia, USA  (Read 7940 times)

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
New Trophy Triple on the road, Virginia, USA
« on: December 28, 2015, 11:32:07 pm »
Picking up my new Pacific Blue Trophy SE from "Scoot Richmond" in Richmond, Virginia tomorrow, about 100 miles from my home (as the nearest dealer).

Haven't even test-ridden one yet, but looking forward to riding my new one!

I have 3 BSAs ('55 M21, '61 A10 Golden Flash, '69 Firebird), a '75 MkIII Norton Interstate, an '09 Guzzi Stelvio, and an '83 Guzzi SP-NT.   

My wife and I picked out the Trophy as a transcontinental tourer for the USA to replace my Guzzi Stelvio, which has proved a bit problematic in its camshaft and tappets; not sure we trust it any more, hence the Triumph.

I've never owned a bike with all the options that this one has, and hope nothing "modern" goes wrong with all the electronics and actuators and displays and computers, but we'll trust to Triumph and keep our fingers crossed!

Lannis

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: New Trophy Triple on the road, Virginia, USA
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 12:02:55 am »
*Originally Posted by Lannis [+]
Picking up my new Pacific Blue Trophy SE from "Scoot Richmond" in Richmond, Virginia tomorrow, about 100 miles from my home (as the nearest dealer).

Haven't even test-ridden one yet, but looking forward to riding my new one!
:401:

I didn't test ride mine either and when I rode it home, all I could see were my gloves in both mirrors and they would not adjust much better. It was a good thing that I did NOT take a test ride because I would be riding a BMW K1600GTL now if I did. The mirrors would have been enough of an issue for me to reject the TTSE.  But then I discovered mirrors could be added to the handlebars and even adjusting the seat made a difference, so did raising the handlebars an inch. Now I have all four mirrors working perfectly.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:10:41 am »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
:401:

I didn't test ride mine either and when I rode it home, all I could see were my gloves in both mirrors and they would not adjust much better. It was a good thing that I did NOT take a test ride because I would be riding a BMW K1600GTL now if I did. The mirrors would have been enough of an issue for me to reject the TTSE.  But then I discovered mirrors could be added to the handlebars and even adjusting the seat made a difference, so did raising the handlebars an inch. Now I have all four mirrors working perfectly.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I did sit on the bike in the showroom, and it LOOKED like the mirrors would show me the highway behind me, but only the ride home will tell for sure!!

Comfort and ergonomics are very personal things, and what works great for one person may be uncomfortable and unworkable for someone else.   That's why I always budget for a Russell Day-Long seat when I buy a bike, "just in case" .... and I'm sure I'll be moving the seat and bars around until I get them just like I want.   

I'm already assuming that I'll have to drop the rear footrests an inch or so for my long-legged pillion passenger, I usually do on any bike we ride ....

Lannis

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:23:52 am »
*Originally Posted by Lannis [+]
I'm already assuming that I'll have to drop the rear footrests an inch or so for my long-legged pillion passenger, I usually do on any bike we ride ....
You can take the rubber off the foot pegs and have an extra half inch or so and not notice any difference in comfort at the feet.

There are several threads in this forum how such is done. Search for  "foot peg".

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:05:49 am »
I put a sheepskin pelt on mine to help with my wife's comfort and long legs.

I am going to add permanent highway pegs to the R&G engine guards so she can put her feet on my pegs when we both stretch out on the open road.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:07:26 am by twowheeladdict »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:39:34 am »
Hi Lannis and :400: to the Club !

There a few other brave Members in here that purchased their Trophy without a Test Ride first,
and I have never heard any of them complaining that they made the wrong decision !  :152:

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:07:49 am by Coconut »

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 01:40:37 pm »
I'll wager that you going to be very happy with your purchase! I haven't had a problem with the mirrors at all and find the seat comfortable enough to do 500 miles per day when I get the chance. The only problem the wife has on the pillion seat is that she falls asleep back there. I can always tell when that happens because of the "turtle kiss".

Congrats on the new ride.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 03:29:15 pm »
 :400: Lannis and  :821:

Look forward to hearing your fist impressions of this mile munching beast.

Love, light and peace,

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

tweedy-bunch