Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First long trip in UK  (Read 1567 times)

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
First long trip in UK
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
This weekend I did the first long trip on the Trophy.  Left home Brackley over to Hereford on back roads then turn right and up the East of Wales back into England in Cheshire (not far from Oulton Park) and over to Stockport.  It took us about 8 hours but we did stop for lunch for about an hour. 

Next morning up early had breakfast and set off again on back roads.  Over to the cat and fiddle, down to Buxton, across to Matlock for lunch.  It then started raining so across to Derby and back down the M1 in the rain, down the A5 and back home. 

About 500 miles round trip I filled up in Stockport (the Sprint and K1200 filled up half way each time as well the GS filled up at the same time as me)  And had about 60 miles left in the tank each time.  So I got about 300 miles in a tank full of fuel.  As I say hardly any 'cruising'.

The bike was faultless the Ipod worked the whole time (since I leveled the volume as in another post)  and if the sat nav master volume was on 50% direction instructions did not break through the squelch turn it up to 80% and instruction broke through confirming my other post about the radio.

The ride was quite comfy I went onto Sport for over the cat and fiddle and some of the sweeping road in Wales and Normal for the rest.  I got a bit of back ache at times but just remembered the Yoda position and it went away.  I did welcome the petrol and lunch stop but nearly 4 hours in the saddle is quite a long time between stops!

Saw lots of other Triumphs but I didn't spot another Trophy.  Oh yes picked up my top box liner on Friday which made it very easy to pack and take my gear into the hotel.

The bike did get dirty but I compared it with the others and mine was no dirtier than any of the others.  I need to go out and wash it down now?

John

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: First long trip in UK
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »
Sounds like a great ride out John. We are off on Saturday round Scotland. I love the fact that we will not get very wet due to the protection of the bike (very presumptious of me but it is Scotland after all).

I understand the back ache issue as you know. I find posture is everything. Whilst it does not eliminate all the backache, it is no longer permanently present.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
I found I could move my bum back and lean on arms for a bit and back ache would go.  Or just bend from hips rather than back gets rid of it. 

I had summer gloves on and the others were swapping to waterproof I just left mine as only the outside edge got a bit wet even with torrential rain.  Moved the screen up and down depending on rain.  Over the cat and fiddle the temperature dropped to 6 degc so I even flicked the heated seat on but it got too hot.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
Talking about the seat. When it is raining and cold and I have the heated seat on, it looks really funny when I clamber off at a petrol station and steam is coming off the bike.   :008:
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
Sounds like a great trip.  In the past several, seveal business trips have permitted me to drive a car all over the UK (virtually everywhere south of Edinburgh).  Very fortunate but never once have I had the opportunity to ride a motorcycle in the UK.  That is my dream to take a 2 month tour of the UK on a Triumph. Ah someday when the kids finish university. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline loads of miles

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Silver
  • City / Town: Welwyn Garden City
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
Berber are you sure its steam comming of the saet ?
Just a thought
Loads of miles

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:01:04 PM »
Enjoy your Scottish Trip Berber, its my favourite place to ride a bike. Haven't had a chance to take the trophy up there yet, hope to soon. I feel the Isle of Mull calling!!!

tweedy-bunch