Valve Shimming by Yaga1973
[Yesterday at 08:50:09 pm]

Suspension Upgrades,What Have You Done? by LarryJa
[Yesterday at 08:16:17 pm]

Fourth Gear All-Time? by Ebenezer
[Yesterday at 07:59:22 pm]

Heated low rider seat by RedMerle
[Yesterday at 07:48:21 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Windshields  (Read 14444 times)

Offline LPBeck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chino
Windshields
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:50:40 am »
I've been reading all I can find about the various after market windshields out there. Calsci seems to be popular, but still many pros and cons, not conclusive. Any experience out there with other brands, such as Vstream or ? I'm 6'1" and an ex BMW RT rider used to an Aeroflow, which I really liked.

Thanks in advance for your input, this forum is proving invaluable!!

Larry

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Scottsdale
Re: Windshields
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:57:13 pm »
I have a Calsci that I replaced with a Vstream.

Factory - Very clear.  Lots of back pressure at speed and serious buffeting in strong winds.

Calsci - Great design.  Eliminates the back pressure and crosswind buffeting.  I had 2 problems.  The first one I got was scratched and they didn't believe it came to me that way.  Getting a replacement was a real hassle.  I had to pay return shipping which is very expensive due to size.  The second one I got still has a very small scratch but hidden in the mounting are.  Not a problem.  The thing yellowed in a matter of 2 months.  It's very hard to see through when facing into the sun.  While I typically look over the windshield there are times when you want see right in front of you and this really bothered me.

Vstream - The shape is a little odd but interesting and I think looks good on the Trophy.  I have the middle size (sport tour?).  I'm 5' 11".  It took me just a couple rides to get used to it because of the shape but I don't even notice it now.  I think the Calcsci design is slightly better for buffeting but the Vstream is fine.  Vstream has to be slightly higher to create the same wind bubble.  This can be an advantage to the Vstream in the heat because you can get more air when it's down.  I'm in sunny Scottsdale.  The Vstream is crystal clear.

If Calcsi used the material that Vstream uses I'd recommend the Calcsi except that I persinally wouldn't buy from them again due to that bad experience.  The discoloration of the Calcsi is a huge problem in my experience.

Offline Bobbya

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:24:42 pm »
Why would anyone feel the urge to change the original, I'm quite happy with mine,then again I am very easy pleased, but seriously am I missing something, thank you.  :002: :002:
I am innocent☺!!

Offline LPBeck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:52:37 pm »
Thanks Jesse64, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm going for the Vstream. As the co-owner of a small business, I know the value of customer service , or the lack of it. Combined with the yellowing, my decision is now easy, thank you.

As to why change from stock, I've had 50 years of riding experience and know how a great windshield can improve ride quality and reduce fatigue by the elimination of both excessive noise and buffeting.

Larry

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:45:09 pm »
*Originally Posted by Bobbya [+]
Why would anyone feel the urge to change the original, I'm quite happy with mine,then again I am very easy pleased, but seriously am I missing something, thank you.  :002: :002:

For me, the stock screen either doesn't block anything, buffets like crazy, or creates tremendous back pressure -- there doesn't seem to be any in-between for me. I need to find something else soon-ish.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:34 pm »
I'm 6'3"  with 32" inseam so much of my height is in my torso.  I added a Day Long seat and that added an inch or so in my height.   The stock screen did not work so well anymore.  I replaced it with a Cee Bailey.  Eliminates buffeting and allows more cooling air near my shoulders.
I used Cee Bailey on two previous BMW RT's and they work well and are well made.

But, like seats, helmets and bikes... YMMV.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline LPBeck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 11:30:46 pm »
I just ordered a Vstream, medium size. As soon as I get it mounted, I will report back....stay tuned.

Larry

Offline Blazer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: County Durham
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:16:09 am »
My Calsci screen has taken on a slight blueish tint....maybe its affected by whatever we clean them with.