Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 3 Years--Time to Change the Coolant  (Read 8147 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
3 Years--Time to Change the Coolant
« on: January 11, 2016, 05:23:38 pm »
Did a search and only found one post about coolant replacement and it didn't list any specific brands.

What brand have you used to replace the coolant in the Trophy?  I never had an issue with Honda coolant in any of my bikes and the label says its specially formulated for aluminum engines and radiators, but it doesn't say OAT or Hybrid OAT on the label.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Years--Time to Change the Coolant
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 05:40:35 pm »
After some research, it looks like the difference between OAT and hybrid OAT coolant is the addition of silicates.  The Honda coolant specifically says it doesn't contain silicates so I'm guessing its not a Hybrid OAT antifreeze.

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:54:31 pm »
Its time for my flush and coolant change too. After some research that I also did, it seems that The Triumph HD4X HOAT coolant is non-existent here in the USA. So I decided to stop by the flagship Triumph dealer in Tampa a couple of days ago and I asked them what the use. They USE Liquid Performance Street Bike Coolant & Antifreeze, so I purchased it from them. I  Haven't used it as of yet.

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:29:03 pm »
Zerex G-05 is hybrid OAT.

Zerex ZXGO51 G-05 Antifreeze - Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033QNZZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_CUdLwbZMB4CAS

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:55:51 am »
Another Topic I have been looking into recently....as both my pair of First Generation Trophies were due a Coolant Change and this time I decided to move away from using a readily available and suitable Coolant from the local motor factors, which I have been religiously changing every two years (as per the relevant Service Schedules) to using the Triumph HD4X Hydrid OAT Coolant from my Triumph Dealer.
One good thing about the HD4X offered by Triumph is that it is already Pre-Mixed to the correct ratio 50:50, Coolant:Distilled Water.

Both my FG Bikes had endured long periods of neglect bestowed upon them by Previous Owners so when I took Ownership I did the kindly thing and flushed everything out, cleaned out the Expansion Tanks and have been following their two year requirement religiously.
My '92 Trophy 900 has always run a little hot (compared to the '97 Trophy 900) but in the last year or so it's been getting worse so that almost every time I was caught in slow-moving traffic for more than about 5 minutes the Coolant Temp would rise inexorably towards the Fan Cut-In point. I've fitted a slightly larger Oil Cooler and changed the Fairing Inner Panels to those from a '93 bike in an effort to direct more cooling air through the radiator but both changes had little overall effect. Fitting a Digital Water Temp Gauge allowed me to monitor the Coolant Temp so that I could verify things like the Thermostat, Head Temp Sensor and Fan Switch were working properly and operating at the correct temperature.

What has made a significant difference this time was changing to the HD4X stuff. The '92 bike is now running at least 10 degrees C cooler than she was before. With the '97 bike it's about 6 or 7 degrees cooler but she's always been a much cooler runner and I can't remember the last time her fan came on whilst stuck in traffic....Even in Galway in June 2014, the day it didn't rain on that trip, when the three other Trophies with me were whirring away and getting all hot and bothered she just kept her cool.

Using an Anti-Freeze Hydrometer I measured and compared the readings for the stuff I took out and the HD4X stuff I was putting in. A significant difference in the low-temperature protection offered was observed (my AF Tester was calibrated in degrees C and not Specific Gravity unfortunately). Old stuff -15 degrees, new stuff -35 degrees C.

Sorry, got a bit  :451:

Back to the TTSE.... I asked at my Local Triumph Dealer about the 3 Year rule and they said as my bike had the Head Replaced when she was two years old the Coolant will have been replaced then so it's next due a change at 5 years old (or 20,000 miles).

1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:06 pm »
*Originally Posted by Gordon3xBBB [+]
Another Topic I have been looking into recently....as both my pair of First Generation Trophies were due a Coolant Change and this time I decided to move away from using a readily available and suitable Coolant from the local motor factors, which I have been religiously changing every two years (as per the relevant Service Schedules) to using the Triumph HD4X Hydrid OAT Coolant from my Triumph Dealer.
One good thing about the HD4X offered by Triumph is that it is already Pre-Mixed to the correct ratio 50:50, Coolant:Distilled Water.

Both my FG Bikes had endured long periods of neglect bestowed upon them by Previous Owners so when I took Ownership I did the kindly thing and flushed everything out, cleaned out the Expansion Tanks and have been following their two year requirement religiously.
My '92 Trophy 900 has always run a little hot (compared to the '97 Trophy 900) but in the last year or so it's been getting worse so that almost every time I was caught in slow-moving traffic for more than about 5 minutes the Coolant Temp would rise inexorably towards the Fan Cut-In point. I've fitted a slightly larger Oil Cooler and changed the Fairing Inner Panels to those from a '93 bike in an effort to direct more cooling air through the radiator but both changes had little overall effect. Fitting a Digital Water Temp Gauge allowed me to monitor the Coolant Temp so that I could verify things like the Thermostat, Head Temp Sensor and Fan Switch were working properly and operating at the correct temperature.

What has made a significant difference this time was changing to the HD4X stuff. The '92 bike is now running at least 10 degrees C cooler than she was before. With the '97 bike it's about 6 or 7 degrees cooler but she's always been a much cooler runner and I can't remember the last time her fan came on whilst stuck in traffic....Even in Galway in June 2014, the day it didn't rain on that trip, when the three other Trophies with me were whirring away and getting all hot and bothered she just kept her cool.

Using an Anti-Freeze Hydrometer I measured and compared the readings for the stuff I took out and the HD4X stuff I was putting in. A significant difference in the low-temperature protection offered was observed (my AF Tester was calibrated in degrees C and not Specific Gravity unfortunately). Old stuff -15 degrees, new stuff -35 degrees C.

Sorry, got a bit  :451:

Back to the TTSE.... I asked at my Local Triumph Dealer about the 3 Year rule and they said as my bike had the Head Replaced when she was two years old the Coolant will have been replaced then so it's next due a change at 5 years old (or 20,000 miles).

Doh!   :156:  I'd forgotten about that.  I had my head changed out two years ago so I don't need to change until next year!  Thanks.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:54:47 pm »
*Originally Posted by OhioWinger [+]
Zerex G-05 is hybrid OAT.

Zerex ZXGO51 G-05 Antifreeze - Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033QNZZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_CUdLwbZMB4CAS
Yap, bought that from Amazon too.  Gotta love Prime.  I still have plenty left from doing the Sprint GT, so that's what I'll use on the TTSE.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:54:34 pm »
Those that want the Triumph branded antifreeze, I saw it on the shelf at Iron Pony, $9.99 per quart.