Selling Russell Day longs seats and more by thogland
[Today at 04:28:41 AM]

New Member by joenunn
[Today at 04:03:47 AM]

Triumph Tankbag? by karl
[Today at 04:03:19 AM]

Good bye for now Trophy friends by IMDMAN
[Today at 02:22:10 AM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Garmin Basecamp  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Garmin Basecamp
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
Has anyone used Basecamp? I want to plot the routes we are taking around Scotland next week. Given we will not be using the direct routes that the Garmin will suggest, I decided to use Basecamp but I am finding it far from intuitive. If I do not crack it in the next couple of days I shall resort to writing the route out and placing it in the map cove ron top of the tank bag. My intent is to do a daily route with coastal runs as opposed to the more main roads.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
Re: Garmin Basecamp
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
I haven't used basecamp but last weekend when I wanted to go cross country rather than motorways I just plotted a few via points in to the zumo and it all worked fine, the only thing was that the GPS would only tell me the distance and arrival time of the next via point not the final destination. :152:
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »
Thanks david I shall look at that as an alternative,.

George Harrison

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
I agree, it is far from intuitive - as was Mapsource before it. But perseverance does pay off. An evening with a laptop, after several false attempts, does produce daily routes which can be saved and then transferred to the gps. It eventually all works well. I do it for Europe each year and simply need to select my saved 'Day 1', etc. each morning. If you can get your hands on Mapsource I think you'll find it easier.
Caoimhín

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:23:06 PM »
i am with the others the waypoint method works.....you need to be careful though as it will sometimes double you back on yourself (an example of this is around the applecross peninsular where if you don't waypoint an extreme north west corner zumo will always double back to take the main road from loch carron to achnasheen). Easily sorted in mapsource with a pleasant evening dreaming of the route.....as far as arrival time goes you can display eitHer next waypoint or destination from the second screen....and its always spookily accurate for me - don't know how it does it!

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »
Well I have had a go last night and gave up after two hours. I think the trick is to do long routes a section at a time and then link them up for each days run.  :087:

George Harrison

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »
I agree that Basecamp is not very intuitive! However, I think it's worth persevering! I particularly like the way it uses cloud storage. It's also good the way it can route through points which are not reported when following the route. (I hope that makes sense!)

All in all I think it's an improvement on Mapsource!
 :152:

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
technique i usually use is to create route with only the start & finish in then view on the map, then start adding waypoints to force the route calculation where i want it to go ( all on the pc). you can then d1 etc label them and import to your garmin...end result of a recent one

tweedy-bunch