Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The theft aspect.  (Read 5227 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
The theft aspect.
« on: January 14, 2016, 09:57:32 pm »
How do you guys view the theft aspect when it comes to the Trophy? I mean, are they seen as an 'highly desirable' nickable motorcycle by the criminals?

I'm guessing that touring type motorcycles are pretty low on the scale in general, well compared to the likes of the Yamaha R1 for example or anything that is in high demand for parts maybe,........there are certainly more BMW RT's and Goldwing's around for example.

Have you ever heard of a Trophy being stolen? No matter which bike I've owned, I've always used extra security/locks and will continue to do so, just wondered what you guys think/use on the Trophy. :002:   

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: The theft aspect.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:01:51 pm »
Not heard anyone reporting a theft in here... And long may it stay that way.

There is a good immobiliser built in and if you add extra locks so it can't be pushed around then it will take a good few strong chaps to be able to lift it into a van!

As targets for thieves I don't think they are highly rated... Not sexy like an R1 or MV and not a huge market for dodgy spares either.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
As targets for thieves I don't think they are highly rated... Not sexy like an R1 or MV and not a huge market for dodgy spares either.

That's my thinking too.

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:47:14 am »
Agree with Cropbiker. I leave mine locked with a cable and steering lock all good so far.
It wasn't me !!

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:56:40 am »
I know that many bikes have a dedicated storage area for a D lock under the seat but what with this one being a two piece affair and having wires, it's hardly convenient. Do you all just carry a lock in a pannier then?

I once had a D lock that came with it's own mounting bracket, ideal if you could find a space/bolt on the bike for it.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:46:52 am »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
I know that many bikes have a dedicated storage area for a D lock under the seat but what with this one being a two piece affair and having wires, it's hardly convenient. Do you all just carry a lock in a pannier then?

I once had a D lock that came with it's own mounting bracket, ideal if you could find a space/bolt on the bike for it.
Page 76 of the manual shows storing optional Triumph D Lock under rear seat.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 11:11:39 am »
When I renewed my insurance a while back I was told, "you live in a high risk area for theft, but the trophy is pretty secure as it is not a targeted bike".  Felt a bit insulted actually. 

Scooters and sports bikes are the more usual choice of the young scallywags. 

I do leave the bike in multi story car packs and risky looking shopping centres but always use a heave chain and strong lock to deter the opportunist thief.  Unfortunately, a professional thief would have no difficulty taking the bike if they were determined. 

But I think we are reasonable safe from theft.

Freeway Phil

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:25:19 pm »
 :Aye Phil, if someone REALLY wants it, there's not much you can do at the end of the day.

I think that we are pretty safe though, for all the above mentioned reasons.

tweedy-bunch