Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Washing the bike - precautions.  (Read 7348 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Washing the bike - precautions.
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »
Having read most of the owners hand book by now, the bit about placing plastic bags over the handle bars and exhaust pipe had the wife in stitches.

I've always been wary about getting certain areas on a bike soaking wet but I've never gone to those lengths before.
What do you guys do?

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Washing the bike - precautions.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:19:42 pm »
Never use a Pressure washer - wash by hand and use a low pressure hose for rinsing off.

Just be careful not to squirt water up the Silencer !

The thing about the handlebar ends is because of the electrics inside
( Heated Grips & Throttle Ride by wire ), but they seem to cope when it's raining !   :015:

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:30:56 pm »
I totally agree about the pressure washer, I've owned a Goldwing so know about the handle bar/electrics aspect.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:34:21 pm »
Before I wash the bike, I blue tape the ignition key and seat lock switches, and plug the exhaust with one of those exhaust plugs.

I typically don't need to mess with the handlebar controls, and the cockpit in general, when washing the bike.  They rarely get dirty enough to warrant soaking them with soapy water.  I usually take care of them when I do the post ride clean up of windshield, headlights, front end in general, and particularly the fork stanchions.  Wipe down takes less than 5mins and really helps to keep the bike in tip top shape.  Washing is usually just for the lower 3/4 of the bike.  The switch pods still get splashed a bit from the overspray, but if they can't take that, I might as well not ride the bike.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »
*Originally Posted by Volfy [+]
Before I wash the bike, I blue tape the ignition key and seat lock switches, and plug the exhaust with one of those exhaust plugs.

I typically don't need to mess with the handlebar controls, and the cockpit in general, when washing the bike.  They rarely get dirty enough to warrant soaking them with soapy water.  I usually take care of them when I do the post ride clean up of windshield, headlights, front end in general, and particularly the fork stanchions.  Wipe down takes less than 5mins and really helps to keep the bike in tip top shape.  Washing is usually just for the lower 3/4 of the bike.  The switch pods still get splashed a bit from the overspray, but if they can't take that, I might as well not ride the bike.

Some good tips in there, keeping them upside down forks clean and free from dirt that may end up destroying the seals is a good idea. I actually prefer 'normal' upright forks just so that you don't lose all the fluid when the seals let go.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:59:38 pm »
I would also advise not leaving anything valuable in the glovebox.

I had an iPhone in there listening to some tunes while washing and water got I. And trashed the screen! :023:

Fortunately it was an old one I only used for music but it could have been new!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 10:11:14 pm »
I've only briefly looked at that fairing pocket but the thought of how waterproof it is did cross my mind.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:46:33 pm »
I do hose the bike down, but only with the nozzle in the shower position. I use a mild car washing detergent.  I'll put a good blast to the wheels. If it's not too dirty and I want to make it look great I'll spray and wipe with Original Bike Spirits.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.