Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Radiator paint peeling  (Read 3321 times)

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
  • City / Town: Nantwich
Radiator paint peeling
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:32:40 pm »
On a routine inspection recently I noticed that there was a small amount of paint peeling from the Radiator :187:. I raised this with the dealer who immediately asked to see the bike, took photographs and requested a goodwill repair/replacement from Triumph.
Triumph responded very quickly with a "No - too far out of Warranty" reply - so I will have to deal with it myself :023: :151:

This machine is a pre-launch model and therefore one of the oldest there is (it has the lowest VIN number of all modern Trophies) so I am posting this as a "Heads Up". I have seen no other evidence of this issue anywhere so this may be the first of more or, hopefully, an isolated case.

I am just dealing with it at the moment, and I have taken photographs of the issue and the repainting job that I will post later, but I thought it important to warn everyone so that you can keep an eye on it.

This machine is 3 and a half years old (22,600 miles - all year round riding)

The fix I am applying is a simple one:
Remove relevant fairing (this issue is on the left hand side as seen by the rider when riding)
Remove expansion tank - this does not need disconnecting, just moving out of the way
Clean, Wire brush and remove all loose paint etc.
Hammerite Black - Smooth - 2 coats
Replace everything

I'll post the photos later after all is dry and replaced
Now got Black TTSE
Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Radiator paint peeling
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:00:11 pm »
Hi three... thanks for the info... will be good to see the pictures of where the problem is so we can look out for it just in case it is a common issue
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Online Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 02:43:37 pm »
Threeup,  a set of these Rad Guards helps keep the `stone chips' off and might be worth considering once you have re-painted the Rad...... :028:

[smg id=1317]          [smg id=1322]

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:52:01 pm by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 04:15:38 pm »
Radiator Guards would avoid stone chips, but it was poor paintwork rather than chips that caused this as will be clear when I post the photos later today

In fact my advic e to anyone using radiator guards would be remove them periodically to check behind as they would have obscured the issue meaning the corrosion would have got too far
Now got Black TTSE

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:00:52 pm »
Here are the photos of the issue and fixing it
[smg id=1323] this was what I first noticed
[smg id=1324] - a closer look made me no happier
[smg id=1325] - after removing the fairing and the expansion chamber I could see what was really going on. The paint on all of the radiator appeared fine except for this one area, where it had failed to bond effectively with the metal and was now falling off, permitting corrosion
[smg id=1326] - wire brushing and thorough cleaning established that the rest if the paint was well bonded and provided a key for the Hammerite (smooth black) that I intended to use
[smg id=1327] - painted (2 coats) it looked a lot better
[smg id=1328] - putting things back together
[smg id=1329] - while clearing up I collected these paint flakes to give some idea of what had come off
[smg id=1330] - all done now and ready to ride again - I will probably apply some ACF50 when the paint has hardened - the whole bike is regularly treated with ACF50 anyway but even ACF50 cannot prevent paint flaking if it was poorly applied in the first place. The problem looks to have been some grease or dirt on the radiator when the paint was applied

Now got Black TTSE

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:08:44 pm »
Wow... that is not just a little patch of loose paint... that is huge! Glad you got it sorted before you needed a new radiator
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Online brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 07:23:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by threeup [+]
In fact my advic e to anyone using radiator guards would be remove them periodically to check behind as they would have obscured the issue meaning the corrosion would have got too far

Not only is that good advice, threeup, but that's also recommended by the RadGuard manufacturer. 

That's a shame about your radiator, though good that you caught it before it got too bad.  Thanks for sharing.
IBA #69644

Online Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 07:51:21 pm »
Yep, that's not down to `stone chips' or road debris thrown up -  bad `flaking'  looks like a poor quality `4.30pm'   :110:   Friday afternoon rush spray job.       If any more turn up like this then quality control at Hinkley  (UK)  need to sit up and take note...... :084:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

tweedy-bunch