Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Puncture repair / Prevention  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Scorton Mick

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Preston
Puncture repair / Prevention
« on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:49 pm »
I have only just joined the forum and have been wandering around the various topics. One such matter is the use of puncture fluid, like 'tyreweld' or the preventative fluid that is put in the tyres and when you're unfortunate enough to have a puncture it goes to the hole and seals it leaving a trace on the outside of the tyre. Neither methods have been mentioned in the puncture heading, a number referring to the stop n go plugs. I'm not a lover of the preventative fluid, but certainly the use of 'tyreweld' or similar seems to be a good option. I'd be very interested in the views of any other forum members.
Thanks
Mick

Online Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
Re: Puncture repair / Prevention
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 09:00:55 pm »
Hi Scorton Mick, welcome to the forum   :401:.  Just my opinion but,  I would forget the tyreweld stuff, very messy and can muck the tyre / valves and sensor up.  :084:

Best to carry a  `Puncture  repair Kit, average cost around £20 ,  takes 10-15  minutes to fix at road side - alternatively wait 2 hours +,  for  a recovery assistance.     Buy a Kit with  a substantive air valve,   not with a flimsy   plastic one that will snap off or leak under pressure from the CO2 rendering the kit useless.  :114:     Kit should include `surgical'  type gloves   protection from the glue unless you intend to ride without your MC gloves on now, (you could always `add these' + a small 12v `mini'  compressor instead of using the CO2 cartridges)   Blade to trim `plug' repair.

Carry small lightweight pair of pliers/grips  in tool roll, to pull  `cause'  from tyre.    Remember  these DIY  kits  are designed as a `get you home' - service area -workshop,  so max speed `suggested'  is really 30mph,  although someone in a local club rode at 90 + with a DIY  repair across France !!    and then continued to ride with this repair until he eventually  changed  his tyres months later.

Of course some punctures /rips / damage  just cannot be sorted at the roadside and may mean a recovery/ call out for new tyres ect  ( hope not ).
Regards,
Steve........ :821:

[smg id=1331]
[smg id=1332]

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:38:27 pm by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:08:58 pm »
Hi

I have "Punturesafe" in both front and rears. It is a water based product that lines the inside of the tyre as a gel. If you get a puncture then it seals instantly. I did have it in my (%% Tiger years ack and when the tyre was replaced as worn out it had two nails which could not be seen on inspection. And there lies the issue, you could get a puncture and not know. However it would deflate slowly or not at all.

I purchased it years ago after seeing a guy stab a tyre with a small screwdriver and it sealed and stayed up. I also had it in my BMW GS but it knackered the tpms.

So if you have TPMS then do not fit. My TT is he standard so no issue.

It gives me piece of mind and is also supposed to run the tyre cooler.

I have no connections with this product.
It wasn't me !!

Offline audio2u

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:51:09 pm »
True story... I asked my 15 y.o. son to buy me a puncture repair kit for Christmas ('15). Just the simple type with the T-bar grips that you use to ream out the hole. Then you thread the black rubber strip through the 'needle', coat with rubber cement, push/pull, and you're done.
Stuff me if 2 days ago, I didn't get a 6 inch nail through my rear tyre on my daily commute to work!
Thankfully, I was less than 10 k's from work at the time. Got to work, pulled out the kit, and hey presto! Job done in no time at all!
The only thing I WISH I'd had was some of those 16g CO2 cannisters and the adaptor. (I used a hand pump to get up to about 15psi, then ride 1km to a servo and pumped it up on their compressor... yeah, I'm a lazy bugger!)
Which brings me to my question.... I understand that those things (CO2 cannisters) are designed for bicycles. Has anyone had experience using them on motorcycle tyres?
If so, how many of those 16g cannisters does it take to inflate a Trophy-sized tyre to 35-40psi?
My bike history: (1) c.1982 Honda CT125, (2) c.1986 Yamaha SRX250, (3) 1988 Honda CBR1000FH, (4) 1989 Suzuki GSX-R750 Slingshot, (5) 2012 Suzuki Boulevard M90, (6) 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 02:15:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by audio2u [+]
Which brings me to my question.... I understand that those things (CO2 cannisters) are designed for bicycles. Has anyone had experience using them on motorcycle tyres?
If so, how many of those 16g cannisters does it take to inflate a Trophy-sized tyre to 35-40psi?

Hey, audio - you should get about 8 lbs of pressure out of each 16g cartridge, I believe.  5-6 cartridges should cover one tire, front or rear.  I believe that there are larger volume cartridges available but I don't know how they compare in physical size.   :002:

Knock wood, I've never used them but they were OEM standard issue on my BMW K100RS.  I'm guessing that the assumption was that they would work when needed.  I don't know if they still issue them with their bikes or not, though.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:55:03 pm by brenchley »
IBA #69644

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 02:42:30 pm »
I have made many roadside repairs over the years, most to other stranded bikers, but about three of my own.

I use Gummy Worms. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-Car-Van-Motorcycle-Tubeless-Tyre-Puncture-Repair-Kit-Tool-15-Strip-/331315776163 and pump up with a mini compressor like this http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-mini-compressor.html.

This system works and I have ridden thousands of miles on a repaired tyre, having TPMS is a blessing as you can keep a close eye on any air loss.

If you decide to go this route I suggest just prior to getting new tyres you puncture the old one and repair it in a warm dry garage as for sure if you don't your first use of the kit will be at a roadside in the cold and wet!

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:10:20 pm »
 Dave, where did you get such a mini compressor in the UK. ....I want one

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 04:50:16 pm »
Got mine off Ebay.  I don't think it was this one but it looks very similar and others have said this one is good on this forum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAC-12v-Car-Motorcycle-Motor-Bike-Compact-Mini-Tyre-Air-Compressor-Inflator-Pump-/201022107463?hash=item2ecdd9ef47:g:~eMAAOxycmBS2orH

Mine fits under the seat and I have used it twice in 3 years?