Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS Low Battery Voltage Warning  (Read 13263 times)

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
TPMS Low Battery Voltage Warning
« on: January 20, 2016, 07:11:15 pm »
I don't normally ride when the Outside Air Temperature is below 3 degrees C....but today it was so clear, crisp and dry I couldn't resist... OAT was 0 degrees C

Roads lovely and dry - the low sun was behind me on the 16 mile outward leg so I had plenty of fun.

On the return leg I was alerted to the Front TPMS Low Battery Voltage Warning coming up on the Annunciator Screen - the Indicated Pressure was fine though and I had adjusted the Tyre Pressures before my ride as per normal.
It stayed in view until I called in at the Shops..

Upon re-starting it had gone again - no warning message at all.

The bike is nearly 3 1/2 years old with nearly 14K Miles on it.
A tyre change is almost due but this may just bring it forward somewhat....but I'll keep an eye on it - just in case it is Temperature dependent..

I have a Spare Set of TPMS Sensors (eBay Bargain) and I have already examined the possibility of just replacing the battery, just not done anything about it yet
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: TPMS Low Battery Voltage Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 08:55:33 pm »
I have seen articles on the web where the battery in sealed units can be replace, you must peel off the material covering the battery area, and be handy with a soldering iron.

Does anyone have a failed unit they could peel to determine where the battery is located and what type is used???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrT7WBG6U8  is one example...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:57:02 pm »
Hi janfmiller - I've already got a duff Sensor (Flat Battery ? Warranty replacement from my friendly Dealer) that I have dismantled.
The battery is a single Lithium CR2032 button Cell which is not soldered but "spot-welded" to a pair of Pre-formed terminals... I have already posted photos on here somewhere a few months ago.
I don't have facilities to spot-weld in my garage but I will attempt to solder a pair of wires to a button cell and then connect those to the Sensor pcb - perhaps tomorrow...
Unfortunately the only way I know of Testing a Sensor is to fit it to a wheel then link it to a bike OBC...but my tame Triumph Techie might help me out there...
I'll let you know...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:04:08 pm by Gordon3xBBB »

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:25:08 pm »
*Originally Posted by Gordon3xBBB [+]
On the return leg I was alerted to the Front TPMS Low Battery Voltage Warning coming up on the Annunciator Screen - the Indicated Pressure was fine though and I had adjusted the Tyre Pressures before my ride as per normal.

It stayed in view until I called in at the Shops..

Upon re-starting it had gone again - no warning message at all.

Hey, Gordon - what works for me when I get the low voltage indication on the instrument panel, I depress the instrument select button on the left hand cluster.  I don't know if it resets the warning or just clears it from the screen, but in any case, the low voltage indication is gone.  It doesn't reappear during the ride. 

Maybe that would work for you if you haven't already tried it. :002:
IBA #69644

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:27:45 pm »
Yap, my rear sensor has been doing exactly that lately - showing low voltage when cold outside.  Mine is still under warranty, so I'll take it in to get fixed before the cold weather is gone.

After the warranty expires, I have no problem changing the CR2032 myself.  I do my own tire changes so it'll be convenient enough.

Same thing happened to my '09 C14 rear TPMS sensor, BTW.  Also fixed under warranty.  As much as TPMS has been used in automotive applications, you would think the OEMs would have gotten these issues figured out by now.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:32:14 pm »
I've done some searching and found my earlier Posting on the Tyre Pressure sensor Battery Replacement - it's Reply #34 on September 19, 2015..

Progress today... I was able to remove the Conformal Coating from the Button Cell and check the Battery Voltage - still 3.0 volts.
A new one should be 3.2 volts.

I had a stab at soldering leads to a new Cell but that only "Killed It" - the reason they spot weld the terminals to the cells is that it is an extremely short duration high voltage electric pulse which fuses the two components together without doing much damage to the Cell internals.
Despite my best efforts at surface preparation I was unable to solder leads to the button cell without doing damage inside - the Cell voltage has been steadily falling so I've abandoned that idea.

Idea #2 was to prise off the terminals from the OLD button cell using a scalpel blade - a couple of tweaks either side of the spots and they came away with a satisfying "snap" - leaving a suitable deformed terminal with which to press against the correct sides of the new button cell when I located it within the Sensor Body.
I did have to put a small sleeve over the negative terminal to stop it shorting against the positive side of the cell.

But it was showing 3.2 volts at the PCB so all I have to do is see if Mr Triumph Dealer knows how to Test a TPMS Sensor or perhaps he will allow me to register it on his Compooter and see if we can't get it working somehow.

My "TEST" Sensor is not registered against my TTSE so it might involve loading up that ID number against my bike then whirling the sensor around on a bit of string  to see if it transmits successfully - I'd rather not put my friendly Triumph Techies through a fruitless tyre change if I can help it...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:34:23 pm by Gordon3xBBB »

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 06:45:36 pm »
you can try to put a spring in each leg soldier, so always make contact on each side of the battery

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:25:04 am »
Is the consensus that the battery voltage is actually too low in the TPMS sensors; or that the Triumph's firmware is not calibrated properly to accept the sensors output; meaning the threshold voltage of the software doesn't correspond to the actual operational voltage output of the TPMS sensors.  I can't believe that all of these sensors have low or defective batteries.  My 2014 Trophy has done this since new, when operated in colder ambient temperatures.  These sensor batteries should function properly for ~ 5-7 years.  I truly believe that replacing sensors, or sensor batteries is a very short term fix.  Triumph electrical engineers need to adjust the TPMS firmware to reflect the real world operating voltage of the sensors.
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

tweedy-bunch