Michelin Road 5 by Tenequip
[Today at 03:18:57 am]

New to forum and have some questions by TStol
[Today at 12:59:27 am]

Major help needed by GarminDave
[Yesterday at 10:30:48 pm]

Hi from UK by GarminDave
[Yesterday at 10:26:23 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Sliding carriage...up and down play  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
  • City / Town: Washington State
Sliding carriage...up and down play
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:20:13 am »
Just picked up my Trophy today :002:

On the way home I heard some clunks from the rear box.  I realize the carriage slides, but how much up down movement is acceptable? There is enough for me to reproduce the clunking noise by pushing up and down.

I imagine the answer is just enough to allow the carriage to slide laterally.   :001:

Just thought I would throw it out as this is my first bike with moving luggage.  Before I start shimming I figured it would be good to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Sliding carriage...up and down play
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 05:15:49 am »
Welcome  Xsv, a wise choice of Bike..

Did you buy from a Dealer ?
If so, I'm surprised they didn't explain the sliding carriage to you as it's quite important that Owners know about it and "Don't Panic".... Same goes for the Panniers - they swing from side to side slightly if you haven't noticed (or been told).. on a pivotting linkage system (Page 89 OHB)

The reason for this movement is to help offset any tendancy for the Bike to develop a "weave" when equipped with the Luggage and travelling at high speed and also in "Cross-wind" situations. Triumph do state that high speed travel with Luggage attached should be limited to 80 MPH - but they're just covering their ass.. See Page 114 of the Owners Handbook

It is also advisable to re-adjust the Suspension settings accordingly if you are in the habit of riding the bike either "naked" or "fully-loaded" with Luggage - easier with the SE Version..

The Up and Down movement for the Sliding Carriage should be no more than a couple of millimetres or so - some of the Top Boxes will "clunk" but that's more than likely from the side to side limits than up and down movement.

If in doubt Consult your Dealer or Read the Owners Handbook...

Enjoy..
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:14 am »
I did buy from a dealer.  I have read up on the system both in the panniers and trunk.  I came from a bike, Kawasaki concours, where everything was tight with no clunks.

I noticed the clunk when hitting a rough parch of roadway slowing for a stop sign.  Movement was probably up and down.  I will put a dial indicator on it and see how "loose" it really is...or isn't  :002:

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:11:49 am »
Mine does not move up an down nor clunk when the top box is on. How much movement have you got

It wasn't me !!

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:59 am »
*Originally Posted by Xsv [+]
On the way home I heard some clunks from the rear box.  I realize the carriage slides, but how much up down movement is acceptable? There is enough for me to reproduce the clunking noise by pushing up and down.

you shouldn't hear any noise. I don't with mine.
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:53:56 am »
I would agree with the other responses. Should have no movement up and down. Just side to side. Only noise I ever here is if I go over a road bump/pothole and the disc lock loose in the top box bounces. Rest of the time it is quiet.

It strikes me either the carriage is poorly fitted / broken / the top box itself is not properly located on the carriage.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline takingiteasy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 09:56:10 am »
As Gordon3xBBB describes, there is a degree of movement built into the design but mine never makes any noise. I have used it for several thousand miles and never heard any clunking sounds. I think you best get this checked out  with your dealer. I did have the top box fall off, because I failed to fit it correctly, but that"s another story! I hope you get this sorted.

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 06:00:19 pm »
I discovered that the right rear corner on the carriage seemed to have excessive up and down play.  A slightly larger shim removed almost all of the play.  In addition, all of the mounting bolts were at about 14 nm.  Taking them to the specs also helped.

Laterally movement appears to be smooth and up and down seems to be almost eliminated.

Thanks for the input.

tweedy-bunch