Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Power for handlebar mounted Phone holder  (Read 4502 times)

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
Power for handlebar mounted Phone holder
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:53:16 pm »
I couldn't find a thread on this so here goes:

I have a Ram Mount to hold my phone (iPhone 5s).  The plan is to use the left side mirror mount.  How can I supply power to the phone in order to keep it charged on long trips.  I use the phone as my Spot recorder (via Spotwalla and SW Connect) so keeping it charged and visible to gps is important.  Is it possible to run a power cord out from the left side fairing pocket without damaging the cover?  I've also considered a Hella Connector sized USB charger to stick into the lower left side power port but that wouldn't look very good, imho. 

What thoughts or recommendations have you on this scenario?
-------------------------------------
15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
IBA #609

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
Re: Power for handlebar mounted Phone holder
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 05:42:08 pm »
Are you using the extra power supply behind the l/f signal ?

If not you could purchased the harness - it's cheap - then you could wire a socket or charger for the phone behind the panel, and just run your power cable out from underneath the left side fairing - that way no cutting holes

And if so inclined but not required you could wire your phone headset port to the bike by wire rahter than BT - but I dont really think that's got any advantages other than wired connection...

This route also allows you to continue to use the USB port and 12v power supply in the glovebox for other things too...

If you are using your extra power supply then....

If you look up wiring up Garmin GPS - its has a great pics and instructions to accessing this power supply and perform

Just an easy idea that the bike already supports without tapping into the OE wiring elsewhere...

Let us know what you end up doing

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:49:07 pm by brbo »
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 06:00:54 pm »
The extra power supply that you refer to under the l/f mirror, is that the one used by the GPS adapter cable?  If so then I assume that I could also tap it for the phone (via a new 12v/5v converter or lighter plug).  Correct?
IBA #609

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:05:24 pm »
Exactly - it's simply 12v switched power - you can tap it for whatever you need -

You could attach a 12v socket or a 12v USB adapter whatever you needs require - even low amperage LEDs if you so choose...

Yes right next to it is a female 3.5mm sound port - so I was saying you could pipe your phone sound into the bike that way if you wanted too rather than BT -

*Originally Posted by tdragger [+]
The extra power supply that you refer to under the l/f mirror, is that the one used by the GPS adapter cable?  If so then I assume that I could also tap it for the phone (via a new 12v/5v converter or lighter plug).  Correct?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:06:56 pm by brbo »

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:17:24 pm »
Just one observation I bought a couple of those RAM balls that fit the aux mirror mounts and they work great but depending on the arm length you choose it can really impede the mirror which I'm not a fan of...

I've got all three arms something like 1"/3"/5" and I wasn't really happy with any, for a 5" screen phone

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:34:14 pm »
Thanks.  And thanks for the tip on the RAM mounts.  If they don't work out I may move it down to the handlebar bolts (I have that type of ball as well).
IBA #609

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:40:27 pm »
3BR Powersports, or Burns Moto has waterproof USB ports that you can put anywhere you like, and they even have the waterproof mate for the cable to power your phone.  I put mine at the front of the tank with some adhesive velcro on the tank and the mating velcro on the bottom of the USB port.  I have no affiliation with either company, I only use them as parts sources occasionally.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:58 pm »
Honestly I'm not following this thread very well. Why not just use the USB or 12V from the LH compartment? The lid would stay open, but what is the problem with that? I'm not that experienced with the TTSE, just bought it in June 2015, so please advise.

When the weather gets warmer I was thinking I'd look into drilling out some plastic so I can close the compartment while allowing my iPhone 6 power cord to be connected to the USB (or 12V) and my phone sitting in the center handlebar-mounted RAM mount obtained from maple farkles that I got for Christmas.

Following this thread!