Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Iphone power cord pinching  (Read 6850 times)

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lake Worth, FL
Iphone power cord pinching
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:59 pm »
I searched the forum and couldn't find this topic anywhere so I apologize if it has been discussed previously.  If so, please direct me.

I am wondering if anyone else is using a power cord for their iphones, or any other phone for that matter, to provide a continuous charge to my phone while riding so I can use my GPS or music.  I have a RAM X mount for my phone and the cord runs from the cubby hole on the left side of the dash but the cord seems to get pinched when the lid is closed.  Has anyone else experienced this and have you come up with a solution so the cord doesn't get pinched and the cubby hole isn't susceptible to a leak?  Not sure I want to cut out a little notch for the cord in the edge of the cubby, so looking for other possible solutions.

Thanks all!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Iphone power cord pinching
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:41 pm »
I power my Garmin Virb connected to a USB adaptor in the cigarette socket in the glovebox. I cut a small hole in the bucket of the glovebox itself to pass the cord out through. This way the lid still closes tight, no pinched cord and no leakage.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:17:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
I power my Garmin Virb connected to a USB adaptor in the cigarette socket in the glovebox. I cut a small hole in the bucket of the glovebox itself to pass the cord out through. This way the lid still closes tight, no pinched cord and no leakage.

Hey Cropbiker, when you say "the bucket of the glovebox", can you shed a little more light on that?  Any chance of posting a picture of what you did?  Is the hole in a location where there isn't a chance of water getting in and what did you use to cut the hole so as not to damage anything?  Sorry for all the questions, but I definitely appreciate the feedback.  That sounds like exactly what I want to do.

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:56:28 pm »
Following.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:04:58 am »
Hi There capt.

Here is the pic. Obviously I took the glove box out to cut this and could possibly have made it a little smaller but I wanted to be able to get the plugs of either end of the cable through easily. I have circled the hole as it is dark on dark!

I have never had water ingress through here even when washing the bike. Only when I didn't shut the lid properly!!!

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 11:17:32 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
Here is the pic. Obviously I took the glove box out to cut this and could possibly have made it a little smaller but I wanted to be able to get the plugs of either end of the cable through easily. I have circled the hole as it is dark on dark!

Hey cropbiker, thanks a lot for the pic! I've decided to pursue this as an option.  Went out to the garage today and pulled out the glovebox (haven't disconnected the wiring -- hoping I don't have to), but I'm wondering what you used to cut the hole? Or did you melt one with a soldering iron? Whatever method you used, please share what went well, what didn't, what would you do differently (if anything)? Thanks!

Offline captsprocket

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 03:01:18 am »
Excellent picture, Cropbiker!  Thanks!  I've looked in the glovebox and I don't see a screw inside to remove the box with. I only see the two screws on the outside of the box on the top. What am I missing?  Thanks again!

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 04:14:04 am »
When I first saw this post I thought the subject was about the Fire Wire kinking due to the larger iPhone 6/6S cramping the space in the glove box.

Nevertheless, good suggestion Crop Biker.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

tweedy-bunch