Help Needed: Battery Drained. Again by nb101
[Today at 11:21:41 AM]

Headlights flickering on idle by Coconut
[Today at 06:22:29 AM]

Electronc vs Mechanical Speedometer by Coconut
[Today at 05:46:04 AM]

Stupid Incident by Coconut
[Today at 05:39:48 AM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What touring helmet do you use?  (Read 61556 times)

Offline smash

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
Re: What touring helmet do you use?
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2017, 11:52:53 PM »
Arai Signet-Q ProTour, Hi Viz yellow.

Offline Darrell KS

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Dorado
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2017, 02:55:54 AM »
I am now wearing a Bell Star (in XXL).  My previous helmet, a HJC IS Max required a forward lean to get airflow thru it, with the Trophy's ergonomics this just wasn't working for me.

FIT: The Bell Star is quite possibly the most comfortable helmet that I have ever owned.  Having said that I must warn that I have a long oval shaped head.  In fact, I am so far off the charts, that when I sent my measurements to the Lid-Picker sight, they contacted me and asked me to check my measurements.  In addition to having a long narrow head, I have a very long face.  The Star is one of the few helmets that actually reach below my chin.  To add insult to genetic injury, I have "Dumbo" size ears.  The back of my ears rub on the liner a bit, but not enough to become sore in just a few hours of riding.  However, the over the ear ear-buds that I used to wear will not fit in the helmet.  While putting the helmet on, they get stripped off of my head.  I am able to fit my standard glasses on inside of the helmet, but my prescription safety glasses have elongated ear pieces that make getting them on under the helmet challenging.

AIR FLOW:  Amazing.  It has been over 100 degrees several days in a row.  While moving, my skull stays nice and cool.  Because I live in Kansas, I got the White helmet, not the black or one of the painted ones that would add extra heat.  While stopped, it does get warm, and opening the visor is not nearly as nice as being able to open a flip-front helmet.  There is also a "wing" of sorts that is supposed to add stabilization.

WEIGHT:  Its a bit heavy, (did I mention XXL?) but after years of carrying this over-sized noggin of mine around, I have a pretty stout neck.

NOISE:  With great airflow comes loud noise.  I have ordered a set of Etymotic's ear-buds to use with the Sena since my old ear-buds don't fit under the helmet.  Until then, ear plugs are a must.  Note that I ride with the windshield almost all of the way down for the extra cooling air this time of year.

VALUE:  At the $360 that it is now selling for it is an amazing value.  I originally paid more, but Cyclegear price matched the lower price saving me $$.
Darrell KS

Because its fun.

Offline browncow10

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE
  • City / Town: Amherst, NH
« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2017, 02:20:00 AM »
I'm coming from years of either no helmet or just a skull cap.  When I started shopping for a real helmet, I discovered how claustrophobic I have become.  I was not able to get comfortable in any full face or modular.  I tried all the major brands.

In the end, I went with a Schuberth M1 with the SRC module.  I couldn't be happier.  It's quiet, the audio is decent (after some adjustments to the tone settings on the Trophy), the ventilation is good, and the sun shield works great.  It does take some breaking in to figure out if you need to change out any of the lining parts.

If I had one bitch, it would be with the buttons on the SRC.  Not the most easy to use while wearing the helmet.

Offline Bespoke

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 TTSE Pac. Blue
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »
I have a Schuberth M1 as well. I agree with your comment about the SRC buttons. When I first got the helmet I put it on indoors and "practiced" finding the buttons with a gloved hand so it's easier to do on the bike now.

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
  • Born in the USA but really like the UK
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE Black
  • City / Town: Lees Summit, MO
« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2017, 04:00:53 AM »
Hi Guys,

I terminated my HD modular helmet in a high side and a totaled bike and now have to replace it.  I am looking at a Shoei GT Air full face.  It comes with the pinlock and a drop down sunshade.  I think it will serve my purposes well.  It has great reviews for being quiet and is set up for a blue tooth system. 
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
  • Born in the USA but really like the UK
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE Black
  • City / Town: Lees Summit, MO
« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2017, 05:58:54 AM »
Update! Sharp's of UK origin (an independent helmet tester sponsored by their government) gives a rating of 1 to 5 stars with 5 stars being the safest helmet when it comes to impact protection.  I was looking a Shoei (due to features and brand name) but found out it only had 3 star rating (GT Air model).  So I looked up all the helmets that had a 5 star rating and got an HJC IS-17 full faced, internal sun visor and pinlock shield for $200.  Due to MC accident causing a traumatic brain injury all I care about is safety.  I also checked out Revzilla and although this helmet doesn't have all the bells and whistles it still got a pretty good review.  I am pleased and feel safe with this lid.
Best Wishes!
Gary
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gouda
« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »
I use a Schuberth C3pro with a SCRS (rebadged Cardo G9). The wifey uses a Shoei Neotec that has been custom fitted for her with a Cardo SHO-1 (also rebadged Cardo G9).
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 8 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #247 on: May 24, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by GaryWWhite [+]
Update! Sharp's of UK origin (an independent helmet tester sponsored by their government) gives a rating of 1 to 5 stars with 5 stars being the safest helmet when it comes to impact protection.  I was looking a Shoei (due to features and brand name) but found out it only had 3 star rating (GT Air model).  So I looked up all the helmets that had a 5 star rating and got an HJC IS-17 full faced, internal sun visor and pinlock shield for $200.  Due to MC accident causing a traumatic brain injury all I care about is safety.  I also checked out Revzilla and although this helmet doesn't have all the bells and whistles it still got a pretty good review.  I am pleased and feel safe with this lid.
Best Wishes!
Gary
My understanding has been to know what helmet is the safest, you first need to know what type of accident you will have. A cheap helmet is better at low speeds as they are a bit softer. And believe it or not, most motorcycle accidents happen at the slower speeds. So the cheaper helmets can be the safest of all, in most cycle accidents.

-Don-  Reno, NV
Original owner of:
1971 Black BMW R75/5, 1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue (the faster color!) Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT/2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio/2017 Zero 6.5 DS/2017/Zero SR 13 w/Pwr Tank/2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU Road Glide Ultra