Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New Lurker - Looking Hard at Trophy  (Read 3986 times)

Offline victor9098

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • City / Town: Mullingar
New Lurker - Looking Hard at Trophy
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »
Hello all,

Just signed up to the forum, not a Trophy owner (yet) but looking very hard at a new SE. Currently on my second Triumph (Sprint GT SE, then Tiger 800 XRx). I'm a all year rider, no car licence, been riding now for 19 years. My daily commute is a round-trip of approx 170KM, 1/3 national roads, 1/3 motorway, 1/3 urban (I cover just shy of 40,000km per annum) . The Sprint GT and Tiger 800 have been amazing bikes for swallowing the commute and the occasional trip when the chance comes up but really thinking hard about moving to the Trophy just for that extra bit of comfort (luxury?).

Only concerns for me, first I am a shorty (5-6 with a 29 inseam), but have ridden plenty of taller bikes over the years. The only time I had trouble was in an unfamiliar location with an awkward camber, that resulted in bike being 'laid down'. So have read everyone's reviews on the R&G bars which seem to be the way to go. Also weather, 48-50 weeks of the year I can commute without blinking, it is just when the ice takes hold on my estate, that does not get gritted, that I get a twitchy  :172: . We seem to be past it now for this year, so I will have the rest of the year to put a plan in place, especially as I have never owned a bike this heavy before. Sprint GT probably takes that award for now. Thought about the low seat and the suspension lowering options, but not 100% convinced on those yet, any adverse issue with the electronic suspension and the lowering kit?

Fingers crossed this will happen in the next few weeks, just trying to find a home for my Tiger 800 XRx.

And that is me really and why I am here!  :152:

Peace and keep the rubber side down.

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
Re: New Lurker - Looking Hard at Trophy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 01:01:57 pm »
Hi victor9098,   :401:,  book yourself a `test ride' and try a low seat option if available,  so you can compare the ride heights ect,  most importantly take your wallet to leave the deposit..... :821:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:49:51 pm »
Welcome aboard  :821: looking forward your joining the community of Happy Trophy Owners  :152:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »
Victor, welcome to the forum!  Stelyn is correct: test ride = purchase!  You have a couple of good bikes, but the Trophy will take it to the next level. There are a few here on the forum that have installed lowering links, and I'm sure a quick search will find everything you need to know, but if not, ask away. One of the members in my club also has a 29" inseam, and uses the lowering links, and I haven't heard about any issues.  The low seat is standard in the U.S., and was fine for me with my 30" inseam.  The bike is a little top-heavy, but you get used to it quickly, and it goes away as soon as you start to roll.  Lastly, I think you'll find the weather protection second to none!  Good luck on your quest!

:400:
STONEY

Offline victor9098

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • City / Town: Mullingar
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:01:50 pm »
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I have been out on the Trophy's for two short trips. Love the bike, no doubt about that. Has everything I am looking for and then some. Fingers crossed it all comes together sooner rather than later  :002:

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:02:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum Victor!  :400:

I like to think that I have a 30" inseam but I think it's closer to 29".  I ride with the low seat, which, as mentioned is standard in the U.S., though should be available to you.  That and a good pair of riding boots put me right about where I need to be.  :002:
IBA #69644

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:04:02 pm »
Welcome.

I recommend a test ride. Let us know what you think!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:23:36 pm »
Hi Victor and welcome... this is a perfect all year round bike... great weather protection.... nice a toasty when you need it. Sure with the right seat you will find it comfortable enough. Take the test ride and enjoy the feeling of falling in love.... then just sign! :400:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch