Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Would gators fit on our forks  (Read 1884 times)

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
Would gators fit on our forks
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:50:57 pm »
I was just wondering, you can't see the forks anyway and they might help to keep them clean.

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Re: Would gators fit on our forks
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 12:30:15 am »
Like from a 67 Triumph. That's cool.
That does seem like a good idea to keep those sliders clean and dry. Just might extend the life of the fork seals. The only problem I see is the initial installation might be tough. I wouldn't want to disassemble the forks for the soul purpose of installing the gators.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:38 am »
Unless you live - and ride - in dusty/muddy condition and/or inclement weather all the time, I don't see it helping much more regularly cleaning the stanchions. Every couple of rides or so, I slip a clean cloth down the fork leg to clean the male sliders, especially if I've ridden in the wet.  Takes a min to do both legs.

I'd rather be able to see and clean the sliders, than hide them under gaiters and assume they are good.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:56:02 pm »
In a way I wish that the Trophy had conventional forks, up the correct way just so that when the seals do go, the fluid will take longer to drain out. It looks like the front mudguard does offer good protection though, even so it's best to get a cloth in there and clean them regularly before any dirt is dragged past them seals. I've never had fork gators on a bike, never owned that style of bike period but I do think that they are a good idea.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:09:01 am »
Gaiters keep in moisture and really ruined more forks than they've protected.