Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Which headset  (Read 4624 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Which headset
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:33:12 AM »
As posted under a different thread I have been disappointed to find out my current headset doesn't pair with the Trophy.  I know others posted various headsets which do work with the Trophy.  But I don't know their characteristics and am hoping others can recommend a set after I outline my needs/wants.

I'd need a headset that
1) pair with the Trophy and an Iphone
2) let me play the tunes on my Iphone or USB through the headset
3) will let me talk with at least two other headsets (my son and daughter).  I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy a 3 headset combo?
4) a want but not a "need" would be a headset that would allow me to sync up with headsets from other manufacturers. 
5) Any other needs that I am not aware of? 

What recommendations do you have to fit this criteria?  And if you want to provide rationale I'd appreciate it.  Last time I bought a Scala Rider Q2 (not the Pro) based on a friend's recommendation.  Turned out not to be a good idea. 

Thanks  in advance 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
Re: Which headset
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:04:27 AM »
Lot of people on BMW swear by the Sena SMH10. They can be bought single or in a pair. 

If you're pairing with the Trophy, you've got the radio.  Right?   In the little compartment on the left fairing, there's a plug for your Iphone and one for a USB music source (mp3 files); no need for bluetooth connection to headset; direct wiring to radio should take care of that.  All you need to sweat is intercomm to other bikes and bluetooth to radio.  If you add a GPS and wire it to the connectors hidden under the left hand fairing on the bike, and tell the radio that you have a NAV, it should interrupt the music to give you navigation instructions; again without needing a separate bluetooth.

My Cardio Q2 is in the basement.  Cheap connectors in headset, no intercomm and only mono music from the GPS mp3s. 

----
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:07:48 AM by Quinn »
------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Hervé

• Trophy Member
  • First French?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Vaux sur seine
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:35:51 AM »

I've the SMH10 and it is working perfectly with the TT . It does quite all you are looking for, I'm not sure is communttating whit other brand, but yes with other SENA sheaper models.
It's also possible to have conference call with your cellular and the passenger.
The only limitation I've found, in the configuration below reported, is that your passenger can't listen from the bike but can only listen music from he's own devive (phone, Iphone or mp3 player)

Hhope it help
Mind is like a parachute, it's efficient only when open

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:33:02 AM »
Quinn
I do need the Bluetooth. I want both the radio and the iPhone to play directly to my headset. I don't want to broadcast what I am listening to over the radio speakers which is what I read your post would do.   With the Scala I have to use a jack to listen to the mp3 through the speakers. So I need a headset that will allow me to play tunes and the radio through the headset as well as talk on the phone
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »
 Herve thanks for that input. I have heard good things about the SMH10 but I was a bit concerned that the passenger cannot hear the radio or my phone. Do you know if the SMH10 allows three way conversations. In other words with my passenger and another bike at the same time?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »
The Pillion will only be able to hear you and any external wired source directly into thier headset such as an iPod, the limitation is the bike's audio system which can only pair with two devices, these will be your phone and your headset. If you want bike to bike you need a Sena SR1 which you can pair to your headset via multi pairing. I suppose the pillion could also pair to their own phone or any other bluetooth enabled device, but not one that is already paired to something else. Most bluetooth enable devices can only pair to one thing at a time with the exception of the TT audio system (two devices max) and the Sena SMH10 ( multi pairing). The TT can have a GPS hardwired into the audio system using the audio jack behind the left indicator pod and the audio from the GPS can play through the riders headset.
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Quinn
I do need the Bluetooth. I want both the radio and the iPhone to play directly to my headset. I don't want to broadcast what I am listening to over the radio speakers which is what I read your post would do.   With the Scala I have to use a jack to listen to the mp3 through the speakers. So I need a headset that will allow me to play tunes and the radio through the headset as well as talk on the phone

No speakers involved.  In the Audio setup, just select audio output as headset.  Because you've bluetoothed A2D2 to the headset, results will be in stereo.  I don't have a smart phone so don't know if your music on it would be accessable using the fairing cubby connecter but the usb thumbdrive does fine.

If you can get everything running using just the one bluetooth connection for your headset, the other would still be available for the passenger to hear whatever is coming out the audio also.  Again, I don't know what that would do for phone conversations but imagine it would be work for music and gps instructions.

------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
davidwd3
When you speak about the Pillion pairing do you mean the Pillion would  try to pair his/her set against the open connection in the Trophy?  Would that allow the Pillion to hear what is playing on the Trophy?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST