Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hot engine gearshift problems  (Read 3029 times)

Offline waspanman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
Hot engine gearshift problems
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
When my engine is extra hot (waiting a long time at traffic lights) the shift from 2nd to 3rd doesn't happen, the same is true during a long steep climb in 2nd, shifting to third won't go in. occasionally I have had this problem shifting from 3rd to 4th.

Hopefully the problem will be resolved tomorrow after the first service!

Anyone else had this problem?

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
Re: Hot engine gearshift problems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
Mine is not as slick as the demo bike I tried. It's like something has to be pushed out of the way in the box first, then the gear changes. Almost a double click. Sometimes it needs quite a bit of pressure to get this going, especially on downshifts. It doesn't seem temperature related.
Caoimhín

Offline waspanman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:40:06 PM »
How many miles on your Trophy?

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:41:47 PM »
Does this have anything to do with the service bulletin requiring adjustment of the shifter before delivery?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 01:51:55 AM »
My dealer double checked the shifter angle at the first service. I didn't realise that this was because of a service bulletin. You might be on the right track here W8.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline Binnsyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
Hi,
   I find that my bike has a notchy change (or as someone has described a double click) when short shifting but is as smooth as anything when using more revs. I find that when it does this you just keep light pressure on the gear lever and it will go into gear no probs as you gently release the clutch. Dont try to force it.
     I never found this a problem,my Sprint RS was exactly the same and i personally like the slightly clunky (but no false neutrals)gear change. At least you can feel whats going on,some bikes I have had the gear lever was so light and floppy you could'nt tell what you where going to get until you released the clutch.
      I would say its a trait of Triumphs.If its your first one maybe you just need to adjust to it.If it is faulty i hope you get it fixed quickly.Keep us informed :152:

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Dealer performed a shifter angle recall as well on my bike. My experience with the Trophy when up shifting id higher revs are certainly better, and the less clutch disengagement is better. Pull the lever in just 1/4" or so and the shift is much smoother, not notchy, and little resistance. We are experiencing this probably because the clutch works so well at disengaging the engine and drive, the gears have a chance to slow down and the dogs but against each other. The slight disengagement keeps the gears spinning at closer synchronized speeds so they can engage easier.

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
I've just passed 4,000kms, if you were asking me.
Caoimhín

tweedy-bunch