Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dont Ever Want To Have To Do This On The Road Again  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
Dont Ever Want To Have To Do This On The Road Again
« on: February 15, 2016, 12:58:38 am »

I was heading back home today from a weekend trip. Traveling on the interstate at about 80 to 85 MPH, I was a couple hours from home when I felt my right lower leg getting wet. I looked down and saw fluid spraying from the right side lower vent. I immediately took the exit and shut the bike down. After inspecting the bike, it was engine coolant, Just wonderful. Fortunately while I was standing there thinking about pulling the body panels off the right side, a nice guy stopped and offered me the use of his two car garage about a block away. I took him up on the offer. After pulling off the right side panels, I saw the radiator hose had just about backed off the radiator nipple all the way, maybe still on there by an 1/8 inch.

The hose clamp was so loose that I was able to slide the hose back on and move the hose clamp around by hand. In the last photo, you can see that I had pushed it back on and clamp still loose. All the messy stuff in photo was dried coolant, it wiped right off with a damp cloth. I was experiencing the infamous loose hose clamp issue that so many others have reported on. Anyway, a couple of hours later I was back on the road and made it home without further issue. If you're ever planning on a long trip, you might want to check on this clamp as many others have experienced this exact same loose hose clamp issue. I've been meaning to, but never did. Definitely not much fun to have to pull all the plastics off one side when your not at home in your own garage with your own tools. Just wanted to share my experience today. Safe riding everyone.

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
Re: Dont Ever Want To Have To Do This On The Road Again
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:14:38 am »
Good job figuring it out and fixing it yourself.   I'm not looking forward to the first time I have to pull off any of that plastic to get to something underneath.

I have been both the recipient and the supplier of garages for working on a bike on the road.   It's a good feeling either way .....

Lannis

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:49 am »
Both of my upper rad hose clamps have needed to be tightened since I got my Trophy. I was able to access them from the front without removing any fairings. Used a short combination wrench.
1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
1976 Yamaha RD400C
1978 Yamaha DT400E

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 05:10:50 am »
I was able to access them from the front without removing any fairings. Used a short combination wrench.
That was my first attempt, all I had was my bikes tool kit, a large adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers. The way it was spraying out of the side vent, I thought I had a busted hose or worse.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:14:23 am by Zebraranger »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:04:46 am »
Sorry to hear of this - Good Job on sorting it out  :028:

Since you bought your 2013 Trophy has any work been done
that would have involved removing that Hose, which could be attributed to a Dealer error,
or do you think it's been like that since it came from the Factory ?

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 06:23:08 am »
Thank heavens for kind samaritans with garages... well done on sorting it out!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
  • ride safe (Harley, Dylan, Milo.)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: grimsby
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 08:42:50 am »
Hey

This happened to me, Luckly we was parked in a car park in Edinburgh look down to find coolant all over the floor.
I can not remember what triumph said to me but they have had problems before on another model using the same fittings.
Please to see you are ok :152:
trophy4me (Andy)

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 08:49:39 am »
Glad you got it sorted OK  Zedbraranger,   :028:

Coconut,  any `tip's, how to easily access these hoses to check tightness and locations ect...  :018:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

tweedy-bunch