Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protection.  (Read 9015 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2090
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Now I've not actually seen the R&G crash bars in the flesh as so to speak but going by the pictures, I can't see how they offer much protection to these two vital bike controls and going by the posts from others about those pivot bolts snapping, I get the impression that it's certainly likely to happen in a fall.

Another member gave me the idea of using a large piece of wood just to check what parts of the bike would touch down first if the bike were to fall over, it does look like these controls are in danger. :161:

I'm just looking for other possible mounting points/areas where I could attach some newly designed crash bars,......I don't know for sure what I can come up with, I'm wondering why the likes of R&G didn't do this in the first place,......maybe it is impossible?

What do you guys think?




Offline Ernest T

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1088
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
  • Country: USA
Re: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protectio
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:19:17 pm »
I think anything that will protect those will actually be "make me crash" bars.  To protect them, any bar will have to be underneath them and will reduce lean angle alarmingly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:42:45 pm by Ernest T »

Offline earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2090
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Re: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protectio
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:44:45 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
I think anything that will protect those will actually be "make me crash" bars.  To protect them, any bar will have to be underneath them and will reduce lean angle.

Yes, you are dead right there. If the riders footrests were non folding like they were on bikes of old, they would offer some protection, possibly. 

Offline Phil

  • Trophy Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 446
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protectio
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:47:14 am »
I have R&G bars fitted and can confirm that they do the job for which they were designed.   I have only had slow / stationery drops so I don't know what their protection level would be if I were on the move.  I suspect very little protection would be given at anything about a walking pace.   

The bars took the brunt of the fall and the levers and pegs were not affected.  Lost a bit of paint and the R&G decal off the bar but the bike stayed unharmed.   I am very pleased with the bars.   However, their design does not allow highway pegs to be fitted to them.  The diameter of he bars themselves is are too narrow and highway pegs don't tighten enough to grip the bars.  Plus, They are not quite positioned for my short legs.   

But that is not the main point of protection bars, and from that point of view they work well.

Freeway Phil 

Offline earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2090
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Re: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protectio
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:19:01 pm »
*Originally Posted by Phil [+]
I have R&G bars fitted and can confirm that they do the job for which they were designed.   I have only had slow / stationery drops so I don't know what their protection level would be if I were on the move.  I suspect very little protection would be given at anything about a walking pace.   

The bars took the brunt of the fall and the levers and pegs were not affected.  Lost a bit of paint and the R&G decal off the bar but the bike stayed unharmed.   I am very pleased with the bars.   However, their design does not allow highway pegs to be fitted to them.  The diameter of he bars themselves is are too narrow and highway pegs don't tighten enough to grip the bars.  Plus, They are not quite positioned for my short legs.   

But that is not the main point of protection bars, and from that point of view they work well.

Freeway Phil

Thanks for replying Phil, I am mainly thinking about the possibility of the bike just falling over rather than an actual crash, despite having years of riding experience one could still get caught out whilst maneuvering an heavy bike, especially when on a gravel road for example.

I did talk to someone at R&G the other week about my concerns over their crash bars, they could see my point and couldn't exactly confirm if they were designed to protect the gear & brake pedals, it's clear to see that they cover both upper sides of the fairing well.

Anyone who's got these bars fitted and a piece of large board handy, could you recreate my pictures please?....£400 is a lot of money to spend on something that I'm not that sure about.

Offline RocketSteve

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 576
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
  • Country: UK
Re: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protectio
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:36 pm »
I'm more tempted to re-design/re-model the lever so it's not jutting out so much.

Shame we don't have a recall and free change over similar to the Explorer shifter, can't remember if that one fits our model... :084:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline earthman

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2090
    • View Profile
  • Country: UK
Re: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protectio
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:37:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by RocketSteve [+]
I'm more tempted to re-design/re-model the lever so it's not jutting out so much.


Now that's a great idea. :002:

Offline RocketSteve

  • Trophy Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 576
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
  • Country: UK
Re: Designing crash bars that offer gear lever & brake pedal protectio
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
Do we have any experts here able to offer guidance on applying heat and bending these levers inwards...?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:10:52 pm by RocketSteve »
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.