Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Huntsville, Al dealer dropping Triumph  (Read 8266 times)

• Offline twowheeladdict   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    437
    • Topic Author

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 trophy se
    • City / Town: Tennessee
    Huntsville, Al dealer dropping Triumph
    on: Feb 20, 2016, 11.00 pm
    Feb 20, 2016, 11.00 pm
    Took a nice countryside mountain ride today and dropped in on the dealer I bought my  trophy from.  They are a multi-brand dealer, carrying Triumph, BMW, all Japanese, Polaris, Indian, and Victory.

They have around 30 triumphs on the floor.  Said they have issues with Corporate Triumph.  Sending all crated bikes back.

Sucks, is all I can say.

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Re: Huntsville, Al dealer dropping Triumph
    Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11.09 pm
    Feb 20, 2016, 11.09 pm
    Sorry to hear that. My understanding is that if you're not a high volume dealer they can be difficult to deal with. The dealer network down in that part of the south looks a little thin. Where will you go for service? I'm lucky in that I have 6 dealerships within 90 minutes, but I must admit that at least two of them don't seem to have their heart in Triumph. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the disappear in the future.
    Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 11.13 pm by Bludy L
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Addicted to curves
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2016, 01.59 pm
    Feb 21, 2016, 01.59 pm
    I heard the same complaints about BMW when I rode one. Some dealers dropped BMW or closed completely, yet others thrived and expanded. I think it may be more about the dealer management (and passion?) and less about the OEM.
    Serial BMW rider

• Trophy Pro  ‐    437
    • Topic Author

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03.06 pm
    Feb 21, 2016, 03.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Bludy L [+]
    Sorry to hear that. My understanding is that if you're not a high volume dealer they can be difficult to deal with. The dealer network down in that part of the south looks a little thin. Where will you go for service? I'm lucky in that I have 6 dealerships within 90 minutes, but I must admit that at least two of them don't seem to have their heart in Triumph. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the disappear in the future.

They say they will still do warranty work and service.  I do my own maintenance,  but if I am not confident in the bike at the two year mark, it might get traded off to whoever will give me the most for it.

• Trophy Pro  ‐    437
    • Topic Author

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03.10 pm
    Feb 21, 2016, 03.10 pm
    *Originally Posted by azgman [+]
    I heard the same complaints about BMW when I rode one. Some dealers dropped BMW or closed completely, yet others thrived and expanded. I think it may be more about the dealer management (and passion?) and less about the OEM.

This is the second dealership in my area that dropped Triumph.  The first said they put to many demands on them regarding the showroom and the dealer didn't sell enough to justify the expense.

The mega dealer has them in the back of the store , behind the BMW, and Triumph is probably not happy about that.

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04.43 pm
    Feb 21, 2016, 04.43 pm
    One of the local dealers here lost their Triumph franchise a couple of years back, and I was not surprised.  I stop by quite often, and even bought a bike there, and most of the shoppers I see there are much more interested in the Kawis, Suzuki's, and Victory's on their showroom floor.  Triumphs sitting at the back of the store looked like unloved redheaded step children.

Their sister store, which is a lot larger and more of a mega store, kept their Triumph ticket, but I wonder for how long.  It is painfully clear where their focus lie.  Walking into their front entrance, BMW and Ducati proudly flank the two sides, taking up a good 1/3 of the overall floor space.  The whole center is dedicated to the Japanese brands.  Poor Triumph is shoved to the far left side, next to the used bikes in the back.

IMO, Triumph is right in closing off some stores that treat Triumph as an also-ran, and not their bread and butter brand.
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12.59 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 12.59 pm
    *Originally Posted by azgman [+]
    I think it may be more about the dealer management (and passion?) and less about the OEM.

I think you're right on. In four dealership "near" me, two have Triumph front and center, in another Triumph seems to be an after thought in the back of the store. In another, just a small dealership.

Customer base too. If the customers come in looking for crotch rockets or Harleys you might not sell a lot of Triumphs.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02.05 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 02.05 pm
    One thing I did hear from a sales rep at the dealer that lost the Triumph franchise... is that Triumph USA doesn't help out much in clearing out non-current inventory.  They would have unsold 2yr old stock sitting next to brand new current yr machines, and they got no little to no factory incentives to move them.  In contrast to other brands, particularly the Japanese brands, which would offer huge rebate/discount to help dealers blow out old inventory.  Kawasaki does this a lot.  Good and bad, depending on your perspective., but maybe some dealers does have a legit gripe.
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

tweedy-bunch