Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: wife loves to shop  (Read 6033 times)

• Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro  ‐    125
    • Topic Author

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Whitby, ON
    wife loves to shop
    on: Feb 22, 2016, 11.44 am
    Feb 22, 2016, 11.44 am
    Hey guys. 

Planning a 3 week trip in the fall two up. What are your thoughts of strapping one of these on top of each pannier ‎just to carry some lighter clothes etc. Anyone done the same?

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/givi-grt702-gravel-t-waterproof-cargo-bag-20-liter

Thanks 

Rob‎

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Re: wife loves to shop
    Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12.23 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 12.23 pm
    They look useful... I would just be wary of overloading the pannier supports
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline Bludy L   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1692

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
    Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12.53 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 12.53 pm
    I've used a similar bag on top of the panniers. Good idea not to over load them.
    My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Addicted to curves
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02.29 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 02.29 pm
    Most people carry too much stuff on a trip. It took me years to get my wife to be able to pack "light". You can always wash clothes and even if you will need to "dress up" for an occasion you can manage to bring some light packing clothes or even ship clothes to a destination. A long time, long distance traveler once told me to just bring 3 of everything; underwear, pants, shirts. Another tip was to lay out everything I was intending to bring on the bed at home and then only pack what I could identify I would be wearing on a specific day.

There is then the whole discussion about packing non-clothes items. I carry enough tools to take the bike apart, pull the wheels, and fix a flat. That takes up 1/4 of a pannier. I get 3/4 of the pannier for clothes and my wife gets the top trunk and the other pannier. Be careful of overloading/over stuffing panniers and always lock them. I have heard of and seen too many people who have lost a pannier on a trip as a result of overloading and not locking the luggage on the bike.
    Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 02.31 pm by azgman
    Serial BMW rider

• Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro  ‐    200

Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Jacksonville, Fl
    Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03.51 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 03.51 pm
    We do a lot of two up camping on the TTSE.
    Right pannier inner bag belong to my wife, left is mine, in the tank bag we carry some essentials including sometimes a bottle of cabernet  :821:  and in the top box inner bag we carry  the camping gear, two chairs included. Finally, I install a givi rack on top of the top box and use a dry bag to carry very light items including a 2.2 lbs sleeping bag for two.

Strapping things to the panniers is a NO for us, because getting on and off the bike will be difficult for both.
    Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 04.10 pm by lemuriano
    An apprentice in life, perhaps with the spirit of a Café Racer
    IBA #60953

• Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro  ‐    131

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: Manchester
    Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04.26 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 04.26 pm
    Hi

We use a couple of small bags for food and water fastened to the top of the panniers. I would also add that if they are too big the pillion tends to catch their foot getting on and off.
    Plus we lost a bag on the motorway, there is a lot of wind pressure on the front of the bag so a good fixing is required. I slid an L shaped bracket into the join on the case, which worked well but failed on a very windy day on the motorway, so next version has additional securing by small self tapping screws

• Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro  ‐    131

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: Manchester
    Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04.28 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 04.28 pm
    Pictures of fixings

• Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro  ‐    185

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
    Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04.50 pm
    Feb 22, 2016, 04.50 pm
    Shopping on a trip is part of the fun ... and I want Fay to have fun!

HOWEVER, if we start packing stuff on top of the panniers, it's going to be too dangerous trying to get on and off the bike without catching a boot on the bags, so we don't do that.

We do the "left bag is her personal stuff",  "right bag is my personal stuff", and the top box is heavily toward her additional riding gear so she can stay comfy in any conditions.

So shopping is encouraged, and you will find that almost any shop will be willing to ship your purchase home to you for not a lot of money ... matter of fact, places that have goodly profit margin will sometimes do it for free to get the sale!

Lannis

tweedy-bunch