Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: dash  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
dash
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:48:41 pm »
Riding home this evening with temperature between 0 and 2 degrees,  elements of the dash board failed.   The digital speedo suddenly stopped working although the analog speed continued as normal.  and the TPMS alert come for a few minutes then went out again.   The last time something like this happened Triumph told me to turn off and on the ignition three times to see if the problem fixes itself.   So I guess I'll try that before running down to the dealership.  I miss the digital speedo as i find it easier to read.  :017:

Freeway Phil

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Re: dash
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 12:08:41 am »
I have heard of that, or similar problem in this forum when temps drop. I haven't been out in 0-1 degree. How do you stay warm?

Offline mmlanes

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Angelo, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:53 am »
It's happened to me twice this winter, both times while riding in temps in the teens & 20s F.  Digital Speedo stopped displaying and got a "low battery: alert from the front TPMS sensor.  Shut the bike off when I got to work.  Restarted right away and the problem persisted.

Fired it up to ride home in the mid 50s F and the problems did not present themselves.

While the speedo was not displaying, other data on the dash did.

Weird.  TTSE just doesn't like riding in the cold, I guess.
Twisted Trophies Charter Member

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 06:20:39 am »
In my opinion the advice to switch off the Ignition then back on again
three times is not necessarily the right thing to do !  :084:

Many of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) that are stored in the Trophy ECU
when something goes wrong, are deleted after 3 successful "No Fault" starts,
so if there is an intermittent fault you run the risk of deleting the information
that can identify what that fault is !  :138:

Far better to find out if there are any DTC's stored FIRST,
that can then be investigated, if necessary.

And it's very easy to check - See the article here : Servicing Data, Reference Info & DTC ( Fault ) Codes
which explains how to display any DTC's on your Instrument Panel,
and which also has a "Word" document attached explaining the meaning
of the various DTC's that could be stored  :028:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:28:50 am »
Coconut, that is probably why the advice of three ignitions is given. Clear the buffers and reset everything.

I have to say it was -4 when I set off this morning and all the display was working perfectly.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:21 am »
I haven't been out in 0-1 degree. How do you stay warm?

IT was only a journey of about 30 minutes so not really time enough to get too cold.   I wear Triumph riding gear and a base layer.  Heated grips and seat and a hot coffee / tea before I set off usually does the trick. 

Oh, I don't know if this has any bearing but I'm 5'8" and 107 kilos, so pretty well insulated :745: :745:

Coconut, as usual, very helpful advice.   :152: :152: I might pop over to the local shop for a chat and check before Saturday's run to the Vulcan. 

:158: Freeway PHil

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 02:10:40 pm »
I find the Trophy's dash display to be quite sensitive to temperature. Mine often starts to fade, or even blacks out completely here in the Arizona sun.  BTW, I always cover the dash when parked in the sun, but it only helps so much, and the problem can also occur when riding the bike. POS as far as I am concerned.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:20 am »
OK,  went out to the garage this morning and started the bike.  Still showing the problem.  Turned it off got my riding gear on to pop over to the shop.  Got back on the bike and started it to leave and there was the digital speedo and everything seemed to be was working ok.    :138: :138:

So I'm putting this down to me fixing the bike.   :047: :047:

Phil