Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: garmin route planning  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Amigo Paul

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2012 (non SE)
  • City / Town: Neath, Wales
garmin route planning
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:23 am »
I need help please, I'm a bit of a thicko with anything IT but I finally mastered the skill of planning routes and installing them on my Zumo 550 using Map Source. alas that device has died and I replaced it with the Zumo 340 which only uses Base Camp so far as I can tell. I cannot for the life of me, plan a route of say 150 miles using OS maps, transfer that info onto the Base Camp maps and then load them onto the Sat nav. Usually after about the 3rd way point the program decides that it knows best and leads me onto the fastest/shortest/most boring route instead.
Do I have to use Base camp or is there any other way of putting My route into the Sat Nav?....  What am I doing wrong?

Online johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
Re: garmin route planning
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:03:35 am »
Before getting used to base camp I did my routes on map source and copied them onto base camp,seemed to work ok.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »
I also used to have problems with base camp but now don't I don't know what the real difference was.  I think it is that you have to have the device plugged in or the base maps with base camp are very basic (enough bases there) and don't have most of the roads on.  I then pick start and end let it route then just pick up the route in various places and drop it on the road I wanted.  The route instantly then highlights the new choice.  And then send it to the device.  I did that for the Vulcan tour as I wanted to use the Fosse road rather than motorways.  It all worked no problem so as I say I don't know why I used to have so much problem with it.  I have also imported many routes into base camp for the IAM runs and just sent to device.  They all worked as well.  There can be slight differences if you choose fastest or shortest on the device but only between waypoints.  I did use to try and add way points into the route rather than drag and drop perhaps that was the problem.  Also I did have a problem (still do) where you pick up the track and drop onto a new road and it picks the wrong side and makes a meal of trying to turn you around to hit the waypoint and then back again.  When I spot this I just zoom in and adjust with the pick up and drop method again until it gets it right.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:45 pm »
Have you loaded the latest maps on both the computer and the Zumo? If you do not have the same map version on both, the transferred route will reroute on the Zumo. Loading the latest map on the computer can be done at the same time you are loading them onto the Zumo, you just have to select the option. Try zumoforums.com for more info as there are a lot of variables to consider.

Why do you not just plan your route using Basecamp?
Serial BMW rider

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 08:16:43 pm »
Base camp is certainly a "downer" for those of us that were use to using a different program. But theres are ways around this mess. Base camp does enable you to import .gpx files. I use microsoft street and trips to do my routes. Its by far the easiest program to create detailed custom routes. the software allows you save the custom route as a .gpx file and import it into base camp.

that being said, you still need to be weary of changes the gps and basecamp may try to make to the route when its imported, so you'll need to check the route after importing. the only real beauty of basecamp is that it matches the map version thats found on the gps.  Many of us use to run into issues with mapsource being one version and the map on the gps being another. when we'd download the custom map into the unit, it would tell you that it had a version mismatch and it would want ask you if you wanted to recalculate the route (and possibly change it). this was easy to get around though just by placing multiple points along the route. Even when the gps wants to try and reroute, it will re route from point to point. So when you've got 25 points along your route, its really difficult for it to reroute you off your route. I highly suggest you do the same. that way, if basecamp decides that your route versions are different, the rerouting process will tend you keep you on your customized route. So when it tells me i have a version or map difference and it wants to recalculate it, i tell it to go ahead.

Also note: when you place a point on your route, the gps jill will make 3 announcements per each point as you approach it. So when you put 25 points along the route, you'll hear from her 75 times. that is not acceptable. With mapsource you were able to place points on intersections which Gps jill decides not to mention. i'm not sure if the same holds true for basecamp, but i would look over the route and try to place your newly imported points on intersections if base camp moves them. theres is a function in base camp that allows you set each point as a "non announced" point. i would do that also.

greygoose.

Offline number14

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:06:39 am »
Have a look at this thread from the Tiger 800 forum.  It gives a good overview of using Basecamp and has a couple of video tutorials.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,17506.0.html

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:04:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by Greygoose [+]
Base camp is certainly a "downer" for those of us that were use to using a different program. But theres are ways around this mess. Base camp does enable you to import .gpx files. I use microsoft street and trips to do my routes. Its by far the easiest program to create detailed custom routes. the software allows you save the custom route as a .gpx file and import it into base camp.

that being said, you still need to be weary of changes the gps and basecamp may try to make to the route when its imported, so you'll need to check the route after importing. the only real beauty of basecamp is that it matches the map version thats found on the gps.  Many of us use to run into issues with mapsource being one version and the map on the gps being another. when we'd download the custom map into the unit, it would tell you that it had a version mismatch and it would want ask you if you wanted to recalculate the route (and possibly change it). this was easy to get around though just by placing multiple points along the route. Even when the gps wants to try and reroute, it will re route from point to point. So when you've got 25 points along your route, its really difficult for it to reroute you off your route. I highly suggest you do the same. that way, if basecamp decides that your route versions are different, the rerouting process will tend you keep you on your customized route. So when it tells me i have a version or map difference and it wants to recalculate it, i tell it to go ahead.

Also note: when you place a point on your route, the gps jill will make 3 announcements per each point as you approach it. So when you put 25 points along the route, you'll hear from her 75 times. that is not acceptable. With mapsource you were able to place points on intersections which Gps jill decides not to mention. i'm not sure if the same holds true for basecamp, but i would look over the route and try to place your newly imported points on intersections if base camp moves them. theres is a function in base camp that allows you set each point as a "non announced" point. i would do that also.

greygoose.

Greygoose, I agree 100% on Streets and Trips, however it is discontinued.  (With the 2014 version I think)

The current version of BaseCamp is 4.6.2.  Be sure to use this version.  Some previous versions were exporting  corrupted routes to the GPS device.  That resulted in routes that did not take you as intended and some additional problems.  My GPS told me to continue NORTH for 38 miles when I was running SOUTH.   I thought my GPS was messed up when in fact it was the route from Base Camp.

Go here
  http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41136 

for really good BaseCamp tutorials
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:10:06 pm »
There is also Furkot.com
It will export routes that your garmin can use.

tweedy-bunch