Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 3 year/2000 mile service  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Amigo Paul

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2012 (non SE)
  • City / Town: Neath, Wales
3 year/2000 mile service
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:19:32 am »
Hi all,
 I guess a fair number of us are now coming up to the big 3 year service where valves etc are checked. Although mine is now 3 years old, it's only done 16000miles so I've had an oil change service only done and will address the valve stuff when the miles need it. My questions are thus:
 If you had the new cylinder head fitted as part of the recall, should you really OK by doing the valves 20000 miles from that mileage?
How easy is it to remove all the plastic etc to expose the engine and then ride the bike to a competent dealer near by (10 miles)
How much are people paying to have the big service done (in sterling please)
How much is/how good is the workshop manual
I've always done my own servicing on previous bikes but we were living in simpler times then. 

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: 3 year/2000 mile service
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:34:10 am »
Amigo Paul - You need to "edit" the Topic Title - 2000 Mile ? Should be 20000 surely....

On a lighter note - my 3 1/2 year old bike has only done 14,000 miles and My Dealer is not expecting it in, to do the Valve Timing and Shims, until 20,000 miles AFTER it had the head Replaced under the Warranty/Recall.

I'm not certain of the exact mileage - my Dealers' Service Manager will let me know as per normal - but as I ride my bike all year round (though not huge distances...) I'm not on the "Annual Service" program..

On the Question of removing the Plastics to make it easier for the Service Techs to get at it - I asked about that the other day - you'd loose the Indicators and such and there's still stuff like the Tank and battery box to remove before they get working on it..
My Techs said they'd rather it was left on - so they can make certain the bits are refitted correctly...

Here's one I spotted last week, also having the Valve Timing and Shims done at 20,000 miles after the head replacement - there's a lot of kit to come off - removing the Luggage might be a help I suppose
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline Amigo Paul

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2012 (non SE)
  • City / Town: Neath, Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:04:44 pm »
Thanks for that Gordon 3, 20000 miles it is! I take your point re the mechanics doing it all but I bet you're looking at a minimum of  2hours or £120 labour costs before the bloke even picks up a spanner. I'm certain I could do the job satisfactorily if only I had the manual. I've already stripped down the fairing/screen etc in order to fit a new Sat Nav. I did this with the help of You Tube. good to know I've got a few more miles to go if I'm counting down from the new head.

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 03:28:54 pm »
Having the Triumph Service Manual for the New Trophy has certainly helped me in "getting to know" my bike....

OK, it's a bit expensive at about £80 or so - but it doesn't contain any "Bullsh*t"
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
I highly recommend getting the service manual, however, most of the strip down is documented in the R&G Crash bars install thread and the Gas Tank Removal/Air Filter change threads. Once the tank is off, only things left to take off are the airbox and ECU('s). I believe there's even a how to for the valve check that includes that stuff.

Note that I wouldn't recommend riding around with the plastics off, if that was what was implied. You'll have various electrical connectors just hanging around as well as certain places that were designed to remain mostly unexposed to the elements now exposed.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 06:00:44 pm »
Amazing timing.... Just picked my bike up today after its 20,000 mile service and first MOT... an eye watering £892 and that didn't include £220 for the tyres that were fitted too!!!

£540 labour, £180 of components and fluids, £30 for MOT, £140 VAT!!!! :005: :005:

Good job I was putting money away to pay for it!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 06:08:55 pm »
Been a very expensive week as it had to be taxed and insured too!...

Good job the insurance was only £130
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 06:19:50 pm »
Bargain matey! Jack Lilley charge 690 for a 20,000 mile service, I had front brake pads and new front tyre done, total was 890! Still its better than my bmw service charge ever was!  :821:

tweedy-bunch