Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The Last Straw  (Read 5497 times)

Offline terrytriumphgt1050

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Lytham St Annes
The Last Straw
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:06:06 pm »
Bike went in for 20,000 mile service last Friday and they called to say that the had found some damage on the overhead cam and that it was being replaced under warranty. It took a full week to do the service and warranty work but had the call today that it was ready to pick up - happy days! paid the bill and went out to the bike and it wouldn't start - back into the garage and damaged cable found and fixed.

However that was the last straw, after 2 year of ownership the Trophy has been the best and the worst bike I have ever owned.

Below is a list of items that have been replaced under warranty over 2 years and 20,000 miles.

Heated seat switches x2
TPMS x2
Screen Motor x1
bike Harness x1
overhead cam x1

Am just awaiting a call from the dealership to give me a price part-exchanging the Trophy for a new Explorer - I will miss her but she spends too much time in the garage being fixed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:08:26 pm by terrytriumphgt1050 »
People who wear ties tell lies.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: The Last Straw
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 10:29:19 pm »
Well Sorry to hear of your experiences.  But at least you are sticking with Triumph :028:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:45:33 pm »
Sorry to hear your woes Terry... I hope the Explorer makes you happy.... Stay safe mr!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 01:47:11 am »
Like the guys above, Im sorry to hear of your issues but glad you are staying with Triumph.

You will LOVE the TEX.

Watch out, it is not as civilized at the Trophy

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:49:17 am »
We'll be sorry to lose you, but it's quite understandable -

Stay safe whatever your ride  :028:

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 09:33:31 am »
*Originally Posted by terrytriumphgt1050 [+]
Bike went in for 20,000 mile service last Friday and they called to say that the had found some damage on the overhead cam and that it was being replaced under warranty. It took a full week to do the service and warranty work but had the call today that it was ready to pick up - happy days! paid the bill and went out to the bike and it wouldn't start - back into the garage and damaged cable found and fixed.
I have a couple of questions that I am curious about.

1. When you say "would not start" did you mean it would nor crank, or would it crank, but not start?  If it would not crank, was it because of a broken wire to either the starter switch or starter relay?

2. "damage on the overhead cam".  Wear, or real damage? If damage, what could have caused it?

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 12:52:51 pm »
Sounds more like a service department issue.  I am doing my valves and cam timing today. Looks brand new under the cover at 26,000 miles.  I am fortunate to do my own work.  I can make sure everything is perfect, take the time I need and not worry about employee demands. 48 years of turning wrenches, I have lived through all kinds of technology and development, but I am ready to take on anything. I have found out, it's not so much the changes, but the skills of the hands and mind. I hope your dealerships skills are better for the explorer.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »
Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I have a 2013 TTSE and was one of the unlucky few who had issues with the audio module that was eventually fixed with a software update. It was in for a recall of something or other too. If I was to get rid of the bike, I'd get a new TTSE.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch