Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Shakedown run.  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
Shakedown run.
« on: March 06, 2016, 06:28:08 pm »
So we have this thing called a “Shakedown Ride”.

Even brand-new high-bucks bikes need to be shaken down…

We took off on a ride through the countryside that we both grew up in, and where we live now:

A bit scruffy this time of year, but it’ll green up.   A typical old farm, tobacco barn to the front.

Last week’s tornado went right over this house and destroyed it, nothing left.   Family was in the basement and not hurt.

Some land just recently cleared by our neighbor – been in pine woods for 50 years since the last family quit farming it.

These used to be the mainstay of the local economy – a tobacco curing barn.  80% of the county was dependent on the tobacco crop.  Sort of like when Kent was all hops and cherries; just a few of these left standing.

But wot’s all this then?   Stopped for fuel at a little country store, and now the brand new bike won’t start?  Wonder what’s wrong?  (Apologies to lip readers here).

Look, here’s the battery under here, just one piece of plastic to take off, thank goodness (or thank Triumph):

Here’s some kind of multi pin connector, hope I don’t have to fool with THIS!   Maybe it’s just a diagnostic port.

Hey, I recogonize THIS, it’s a battery terminal!   Let’s loosen it up and snug it back down good!

And that’s what it was.   Off we went down the road, knowing one more little thing about the new bike …..

Lannis

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
Re: Shakedown run.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:44:21 pm »
Thanks for sharing, yes thats the diagnostic port. Really glad you got it sorted out, at least your negative cable is connected properly, mine is upside down.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:12:04 am »
Nice report and pictures, thanks for sharing.  Yes it is the diagnostic port.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:10:42 am »
You sound like you write for -- or should write for -- a motorcycle touring magazine.  :002:

Offline FLLawman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:37:37 am »
How did you like the bike? Your post said it was new.
My cynicism is directly affected by my pessimism which comes from my sarcasm which generally produces a general lack of optimism. Otherwise I'm a very happy guy!

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:17:52 am »
*Originally Posted by plgoddard [+]
You sound like you write for -- or should write for -- a motorcycle touring magazine.  :002:

I enjoy riding and writing about it, and have gotten a couple articles published over the last 10 or 15 years, but I don't do it professionally ....

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 01:21:12 am »
*Originally Posted by FLLawman [+]
How did you like the bike? Your post said it was new.

I only have 310 miles on it, so it's pretty new to me!    This is about the third ride; my wife Fay encouraged the purchase of this bike as a two-up ride to replace my Guzzi Stelvio which is in the shop with defective flat cam followers (tappets).

I do enjoy it - it has a lot of devices and "stuff" on it which I will probably seldom or never use, as I'm sort of a "basic" equipment guy (I don't own a cell phone or GPS, for example), but the bike is a great two-up touring platform and we're planning some long transcontinental trips on it .... Handles very well, huge amounts of power, I'm really enjoying it so far.

Lannis

Offline FLLawman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE
  • City / Town: Gainesville
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 01:33:42 am »
Glad you're enjoying it! It's about to get hot around here but my better half and I will still try to get a ride in now and then. Had a few baggers and cruisers as well as a R1200RT, this is my favorite bike yet!

Be safe,
Randy
My cynicism is directly affected by my pessimism which comes from my sarcasm which generally produces a general lack of optimism. Otherwise I'm a very happy guy!

tweedy-bunch