Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Headlight adjustment height & MOT/road legal height.  (Read 1666 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Headlight adjustment height & MOT/road legal height.
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:18:23 pm »
Anyone know if the entire adjustment range of the headlights dipped beam is still within the UK road legal requirement?

I just discovered that mine has been on it's highest setting ever since I bought the bike, I know that I can easily adjust it down, just got me thinking about the checking of the headlight beam that's carried out during an MOT.

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
Re: Headlight adjustment height & MOT/road legal height.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 10:42:03 pm »
Sam her, I spent the first few months riding with the head light blinding everyone else one the road.  I eventually figured the instrcutions and lowered and dimmed the light, to everyone's satisfaction.   I have another question:   I am off to France later this year, can I adjust the head light for riding on the right or do I need one of those headlight converstion stickers, that never seem to work.

Phil  :157:

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:57:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by Phil [+]
I am off to France later this year, can I adjust the head light for riding on the right or do I need one of those headlight converstion stickers, that never seem to work.

Phil  :157:

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the answer could well be no, some newer bikes seem to have been designed with a more 'central' beam pattern so it doesn't matter which side of the road it's driven on.

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:22:09 am »
In reverse order - the Headlamp does not need any adjustmet for Continental Riding.

The headlamp is designed to comply with UK Legislation so it "should" pass an M.O.T when the time is due.

There have been reports of mis-aligned headlamps where one was shining higher than the other,
resulting in a warranty replacement, and others due to one of the bulbs not being seated correctly  :138:

The headlamps can only be adjusted vertically via the electronic Menu and handlebar switches,
and horizontal adjustment ( should never need to be adjusted once set correctly )
is via manual adjusters - acccessible behind the upper mirror covers ( Chapter 18.20 of the Service Manual ).

tweedy-bunch